Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Methi Mangodi - मेथी मंगोड़ी (Sun Dried Dumplings of Dry Fenugreek Leaves and Split Green Lentils)

Hello friends,


Here is another form of Mangodi that we make at home. Very easy and same method as before. Please check the link for the plain mangodi.



This goes to my own event Think Spice: Think Fenugreek which is a brainchild of Sunitha. Please do send your entries too.



Methi Mangodi - मेथी मंगोड़ी (Sun Dried Dumplings of Dry Fenugreek Leaves and Split Green Lentils)




Ingredients
Peeli Moong Dal (Split Green Lentils) - 1 cup (Washed and Soaked for 2 hours)
Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) - 2 tbsp, crushed between palmsHeeng (Asefoetida) - 1 pinch
Salt - as per taste
Preparation



  • Coarsely to fine grind (it shouldn't be like a paste but not very coarse either) washed and soaked moong dal. Mix salt, heeng and kasoori methi to it. 
  • Now, take a plastic sheet or a plate or anything you can put in son and dry your mangodis in (grease them lightly, so that when dried, mangodis can come out easily). 
  • Now, take a small spoon or using your hand pour the moong dal mix on it in small quantities (as in pic). 
  • Let them sun dry for 1-2 days till they are completely dried up (you will know when) In the hot summer of Southern California, it only took me about 12 hours (over 2 days period) to dry them. 
Serving
Store them in air tight container. This is mixed with different ingredients to prepare curries, kadhi (yogurt gravy soups) and even pulao (pilaf). I will post another recipe made with mangodi soon :)


That's all for now. Take care till next post.

30 comments:

My Kitchen Antics said...

im amazed at the diff types of dishes u post...its such an eye opener for me..nice clicks

Myvegfare said...

Hey thanks for this recipe!!, I am making lot of these sun dried vadams, I was planning to try out something like this on my own I did not know that their is something with moong dal!!, I would be thinking that I have created something haha :), how stupid I would have felt if I had seen this later!!, I love moong dal!!

Unknown said...

wow.. this is new to me.. thxs for sharing.. nice entry dear..

The Housewife said...

Yum yum yum! I'm waiting to see how you reinvent these mangodis… you always come up with amazing recipes! :)

turmericnspice said...

new to us..would love to try it!

Rachana said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Swathi said...

New dish to me, looks really good.

Raks said...

Something really new for me,sounds great!

Kiran said...

Priya, methi mangodi are new to me and they look very delicious.Will try them soon.

Suganya said...

This sounds new and different to me. Looks so good. YUM!

PranisKitchen said...

very new one sounds interesting very healthy too

Akanksha said...

magodas look tempting..easy to make too

sonu said...

wow..i simply luv the smell of fresh mangodis..my mom in law and taiji still makes it,but adding methi is really new ..have seen them making plain always,i guess next time if i go to india will make this with my mom in law..they r simply gorgeous..thnx for sharing priya..

Satya said...

looks wonderful ...its very new to me ...thanks for sharing this priya

Jaisy James said...

healthy one

Unknown said...

This dish is new to me too..Sounds interesting and looks super healthy..

Indian Khana said...

I haven't tried making badi yet..thx for recipe dear :)

Priya Suresh said...

Seems u come up with anything as dumplings, can see many special dumplings which are quite new for me, sounds interesting..

Pavithra Srihari said...

I get to know a lot of recipes from you da ... this one is completely new to me and am looking forward to the recipes using this one :)

Sweet Artichoke said...

great recipe! It must be so tasty with the fenugreek leaves... I would love to try!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

New to me...Thanks for sharing this recipe dear...

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Unknown said...

good one..

Suja Manoj said...

Wow this is new to me..sounds delicious.thanks for sharing.

suma said...

U really are tempting me to find these mangodis.. can I get these in a store??

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

lovely mangodis with methi....wil taste awesome in any curry....hv dried so perfectly...envy ur sunshine...i dont get enough sun, just for an hour or two...11 to 1...

Unknown said...

Suma, thanks for leaving comment on my "methi mangodi". You do get regular "moong dal vadis" in the market, but I have not seen these methi ones as this is just my twist to it ;)

Simplyfood said...

This is a new one to me I have never used this kind of dried mangodi before in my cooking.

Suma Gandlur said...

Priya, meeru pesarapappu use chestara deeniki? I would like to give it a try this summer.

Jayashree said...

This is my first visit to your blog. You have a lovely space here. The mangodis sound delicious. A quick question....should I just drop in thick spoonfuls of the batter or should it be spread out as a thin circle?

Sushma Mallya said...

sounds interesting, have never heard of this but would love to try it out soon...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails