Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gajar Aur Mawa Ka Halwa - गाजर और मावा का हलवा (Carrot Dessert Cooked in Microwave)

Hello friends,


I always wanted to try Gajar Halwa the microwave way and I found this recipe here from Sanjeev Kapoor's site.


I have a question from the fellow bloggers or readers who do microwave cooking. I only use microwave to cook rice or to heat up my food, that's all. Check my pic and do you see how my grated carrot did not retain its orange color and instead have turned somewhat darkish, any idea why? I mean when I cook it on stove top, they retain the color. Hope someone can answer me.


Gajar Aur Mawa Ka Halwa - गाजर और मावा का हलवा (Carrot Dessert Cooked in Microwave)


Ingredients
Carrots - 4 cups, grated (this quantity is that of grated carrots)
Khoya/mawa - 1 cup, grated or crumbled
Ghee (Clarified Butter) -  3 tbsp
Ilaichi (Green cardamom) Powder -  1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1.5 cups
Kaju (Cashewnuts) - 1 tbsp, chopped
Kishmish (Raisins) - 1 tbsp
Pistachios - 5-6, chopped for garnishing
Preparation


  • Place the grated carrots in a microwave proof bowl. Add ghee and mix. 
  • Add green cardamom powder and mix. Cook in the microwave on HIGH for five minutes. 
  • Add sugar and mix. Cook in the microwave on HIGH for three minutes.
  • Add cashews, raisins and khoya (keeping aside some khoya for garnish) and mix. 
  • Cook in the microwave for two to 3 minutes. 
  • Garnish with the reserved khoya and pistachios and serve hot or cold.
Serving
Serve them as a dessert or even as a snack.



I am sending this to the following events:


Vegetable Marathon - Carrot event of PJ started by Silpa.





Healing Foods - Carrots event of  Suma started by Siri.
ONGOING EVENT - Healing Foods - Carrots


Celebraing Sweets - Halwa event of Nivedita.



365 Days of Microwave Cooking event of SriValli and



Microwave Easy Cooking - Favorites event of PJ started by SriValli.



That's all for now. Take care till next post.

25 comments:

Suhaina said...

oh my ! u are making me go crazy... yummmy. i am drooling here. wonderful clicks too.

Suma Gandlur said...

Whatever color it is, halwa looks great and I bet it tasted great too.
I usually prepare my halwas / kheers in the MW. Infact I prepared carrot halwa last week and it remained orange as usual. I sometimes add cream but never tried with mawa. Does it have to do with addition of mawa?

Kiran said...

Carrot halwa made in microwave looks delicious.Never made it before in the microwave.I too use microwave only for cooking rice and reheating.

Unknown said...

looks so delicious..nice tempting picture..

PranisKitchen said...

really delicious the way i prepare is ifferent .urs looks so yummy n delicious

Nitha said...

Love the easy to prepare version of carrot halwa... Looks great..

Satya said...

yummy halwa..my favorite one ...some times i used to prepare it on MW but never had any change of color ...while cooking did u cover the bowl??may be this is the reason ....i am not sure but for leafy vegetable if u cover n cook it looses color...for cooking carrot halwa MW i used cook carrot in milk first n then i add ghee n mawa ...

suma said...

Halwa looks very inviting.. not tried making this in microwave..

Akanksha said...

looks yummy,gajar ka halwa is my favorite, I remember my mom cooking it for long time before it could be served,microwave reduces the time..good one

Unknown said...

Satya, I did not cover carrot, so, that could be it. I did not use milk at all, usually, when I use mawa, I don't use milk. Will try your method as well.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Priya I have never cooked carrot halwa in microwave so can't comment on that dear. But forget abt the color this halwa looks inviting :-)

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Sanjeeta kk said...

Looks great and will save a lot of time, thanks for sharing.

Priya Suresh said...

Very tempting halwa, looks super delicious..i have to try with mawa next time while making halwas..

Indian Khana said...

Looks so yummy...so tempting...

Pavithra Srihari said...

superb and easy peasy with khova ... will give it a try

My Kitchen Antics said...

gajjar ka halwa is my all time favourite..yummmy

Suja Manoj said...

Looks very inviting and yummy..my favorite..will try this easy version.

Swathi said...

Carrot halwa looks really good. I won't cook anything in microwave, i use it for reheating and defrosting only.

AJ said...

Halwa looks beautiful!!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

halwa looks divine priya...yummmmm...
i always make my halwa with milk b it in the MW or ST.and mix it every 2 mins in the microwave itself without taking it out and i think if u cooked the halwa with cover it might hv changed color..nt sure though...

Elaichii said...

I have done carrot halwa in MW and did not have any problem with color change. Unfortunately Iwon't be able to answer your question. I'm sure the taste must be wonderful, so don't worry about the color!

Sushma Mallya said...

Very beautiful click priya,looks very very yum

Anonymous said...

the colour changed for me as well!! and i was justlooking for y the colour has changed... ANy reasons people?

Lc123 said...

What brand of mava did you use.If homemade how did you make it.

Unknown said...

Lc123, you can use either types of mawa (homemade or store bought). I personally used store bought on this as it was handy. There are many recipes on how to make it if you google it. Basically, boil milk and reduce it on really slow heat till it reduces and looks like soft khoya. Depending on how much milk you take, it will take 1 hour or more.

Enjoy and let me know how it comes out :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails