Thursday, April 1, 2010

Malai Mirch - मलाई मिर्च (Green Chillies in Heavy Cream) - A Green Chilli Preparation Rajasthani Way

Hello Friends,


I thought I will try something different. Meaning a different recipe that is not usually heard of or tried by most of the people. It is one of the famous recipe of Rajasthan that is made using mirch, yes, you read it right, using green chillies. This is a specialty of Bikaner, of course now-a-days it is pretty much made in all of Rajasthan.


This is one of the recipes I always wanted to try. My sister-in-law, Anju didi, makes them very yummy. So, I gave it a try and voila, it came really well. Well, it sounds very hot, but it is not that much. I mean, of course, you have to like spicy food to eat it. But, guess what my niece and nephew love it and gobble it all up, so you can surely try it once. It takes just 10 minutes from start to finish, i mean taking out green chillies from the fridge till the curry is done... yep and I am not kidding :)


Malai Mirch - मलाई मिर्च (Green Chillies in Heavy Cream)


Ingredients
Malai - 1/2 cup (I use heavy cream as over in USA we don't get malai and I don't boil milk like in India and save the malai)


Hari Mirch (Green Serrano Peppers) - 10 long ones (picture attached)
Namak (Salt) - Per Taste
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli) Powder - 1/4 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1 tbsp
Preparation
  • Cut Green Chillies to bite size pieces (1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces)
  • Add ghee in a pan and add hari mirch, namak, lal mirch powder and haldi.
  • Fry them lightly (for about 2 minutes). 
  • Add malai, mix it and cover for 2-3 minutes.
  • You will start seeing heavy cream slowly changing color and ghee separating out, which means you are done and take the mirch off the heat.
Serving
Just serve it with roti/paratha or naan.
Note: Remember to follow more or less the exact times written for each step as if you increase it, the product may taste and look different. This recipe really goes quickly, so you will have to stay by your stove and do the steps as written.


I am hoping someone will try it and like it and let me know as I love it :)


I made it for the first time and believe me when I say (and you might have posted it while reading my other recipes that my husband and son do not like to eat green chillies) that my husband just hogged on it and as I only made it using 10 chillies, it was just one serving of veggies, he wanted to finish it all and I had to literally wrestle the bowl out of his hands so that I can get at least one bite of it. Whew !!! Fight over food, like that hasn't happened before ... lol


@ Kalyani (Blog Visitor), please let me know if this is what you had in mind or if this is totally different. I know different people make it differently. If you have a different preparation of this, please let me know and I would love to try it post it in my blog as well.


Soon, I will post few other green chilli preparations which is called "Besan Ki Hari Mirch" and "Hari Mirch ka Tapora" and few others, very authentic Rajasthani specials.


Till next post, take care.

24 comments:

Panchpakwan said...

Wow very nice recipe Priya.
We do make this but never used cream in it..must try entry...

R said...

priya, this looks super delicious and quick! i am a big fan of spicy food, luv this :))looking fwd to the other 2 recipes u mentioned too!!

indosungod said...

Looks fantastic. My eyes are watering just looking at it but my tongues will be on song for sure.

ruchikacooks said...

Looks spicy. It should be so good with phulkas or khichdi..thanks for sharing.

Kiran said...

Dear Priya,I love green chillies.This recipe is going to be saved in my favorite recipes book.Thanks for sharing.Looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for wonderful comments. I loved it the first time I ate and of course had to try and make. But, yep, this is now one of our favorites and I will be making more often and will surely post the other hari mirch recipes soon.

Sailaja said...

Yummy. I love spicy food

Padma said...

WOW that's sounds yummy... spicy chillies in creamy sauce... nice recipe Priya. Perfect with rotis.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sailaja and Padma.

Sharmi said...

lovely recipe!
Ya you are most welcome to Host.
Can you do the month of May. email me to sharmikomal@gmail.com

Cooking Foodie said...

The chilies are super green and am sure very spicy. I have a milder palate but will have to try it as a side with dal chawal...

Unknown said...

Sharmi, I am sending you an email.

Cooking Foodie, the curry is not at all that spicy that you are expecting it to be. You will be surprised, just make about 10 chillies one day and try it, I am sure you will crave for more :)

Saritha said...

Hmmmmmm yummy recipe,will give it a try,even in hyderabadi cusine we make salan with mirch known as mirchi salan,ur recipe is new to me.

You have a wonderful blog and not much aware of rajasthan's cusine,will come back to check more authentic recipes.TC

Unknown said...

Thanks Varunavi

Kalyani said...

Excellent Priya,
I made it today....we licked the plate and fingers clean.......D
Though it is different from the one I had at the reastaurant(with little gravy) this one is too good.
Waiting to try other recipes.Thank you very much for this new recipe.

Unknown said...

Kalyani, that is the best compliment ever that you tried and loved it. If you ever come across that other recipe which is different from mine, please do send it to me. My email id is priya.mitharwal@gmail.com. I would love to try a different approach.

I will post other recipes soon.

Nisha said...

Came here from holi roundup , i loved your rajasthani recipes.

Unknown said...

Thanks Nisha :)

Ms.Chitchat said...

Very interesting thikka recipe. Loved the simple and easy preparation. Will try and let u know.

Susan said...

Priya, I know this is older than a year, but I just was nosing about your site and landed on this fantastic recipe. It is bookmarked for sure. I am so enamored of chiles, especially fresh green ones, that trying this recipe will be pure bliss for me. Dairy is such a perfect complement to spicy veggies, my mouth waters just thinking about it.

Rajani said...

Made a small batch just now. Turned out to be absolutely great! Now, need to make a big batch :-)

Palak Sinha said...

M preparing it tomorrow for sure..!! :)

Apurva said...

Hey Priya, this one looks really interesting. I use to make moti hari mirch with besan. But with malai also looks very interesting. Will definitely try it...!!!

Anshuma said...

Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails