Monday, April 12, 2010

Makhane Ki Kheer - Euryale Seeds Pudding

I am going to share an usual kind of pudding. Many of you may have eaten it before in different forms. The star ingredient is called "Phool Makhana" in local language in Rajasthan and a few different names I heard in English, like Lotus Seeds, Euryale Seeds or Fox Nuts etc. So, I am little confused and I am posting this pic here, as may be it is called something different. It is used in curries and desserts both. But, I am sharing the pudding made out of this.


Picture Courtesy: Charche Chauke Ke
Makhane ki Kheer - मखाने की खीर (Euryale Seeds Pudding)


Ingredients
Milk - 6 cups
Makhana - 2 cups (I used a 2 oz. packet that I got in Indian store)
Sugar - 1 cup
Green Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 2 tbsp
Saffron - 3 to 4 strands
Pista (Pistachio) or any other dry fruits - 1 tsbp sliced or coarsely ground
Preparation

  • Roast Makhana in ghee
  • Cool it down and then grind makhana coarsely
  • Boil milk in a heavy bottomed plan.
  • Add groound makhana, sugar and saffron.
  • Boil it and let the milk thicken.
  • Once the pudding thickens, add ilaichi powder and any dry fruits you want.

Serving
Serve it warm as a dessert.


This goes to Shama's Kheer Festival.



This also goes to Cooking with Seeds - Cardamom Seeds event hosted by Priya.






Till next post, take care.

17 comments:

Kiran said...

Wow nice pudding.New to me.Never had it before.Beautiful pic.

Namitha said...

That's a new dessert for me..looks awesome...

Malar Gandhi said...

I am positive' I have seen and tasted this seeds b'4...but never had them in kheer form'...this recipe sounds delicious.:)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kiran, Gulmohar and Malar. I will be posting few more recipes using makhana :)

notyet100 said...

yummy nd my fav

Ms.Chitchat said...

That is an interesting pudding with makhana, never tried it. Looking at ur dessert, would definitely give a try.

Priya Suresh said...

Unique kheer, looks super delicious and creamy, thanks for sharing Priya..

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow...yummy yummy kheer...nice photo..thank you dear

Simplyfood said...

I have never heard nor cooked with this seed or nut before It sounds very interesting.I am going to google about it and try nad find it at the indian supermarket.Lovely kheer looks rich nad creamy.

shriya said...

This kheer is something new to me. I haven't tried it before. But it looks delectable and yummy.

R said...

this kheer looks so yummy! i have never tried this before. will definitely give it a try once.

TREAT AND TRICK said...

This is something new to me but looks so creamy and delicious...

Panchpakwan said...

Yummy kheer..looks gr8t

shebeen said...

never seen this seed before.Pudding sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments :)

Cooking Foodie said...

I have never had this dish or Makhane, but will look for it now... your kheer looks great!

Suma Gandlur said...

This is served as prashad at North Indian temples, right?
Recently I got to taste this and it is almost devoid of any taste or flavor. I bet all that sugar, cardamom makes it flavorful.:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails