Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beetroot Fry and An Award

Hello Friends,


So, I went and got beetroot after seeing so many of you posting beet-root recipes. It had been a while since I made it anyways. Last time I made it, my husband and son refused to eat and I was the only one left alone to consume the rest of the curry :( Anyways, I can't blame them as most of the time you will agree that it tastes bland or like mud or soil. No offense to people who love it.


When I saw this recipe @ Anita's Kitchen, I had to try it as it was very tempting. So, I gave it a try for tonight and oh boy, oh boy, was it a hit or what. My son just finished everything and guess what he is running around saying, his blood has become stronger (immediately after eating...lol). The touch of chana dal in it made it even better.
Beetroot Fry



Ingredients
Beetroot - 2 cups finely chopped (not grated, but chopped) I used 2 beetroots along with leaves.
Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves
Chana Dal (Gram Dal) - 1 tbsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) - 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Amchur - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Preparation

  • Take a pan, add oil, let it heat up and then add rai and jeera.
  • Once they start spluttering, add onion and garlic and let them fry till onion is translucent.
  • Add chopped beetroot and all dry powders, 1 cup water, cover and cook for about 15 minutes (or till it is well cooked).
  • Remove lid and let it dry up and fry for 4-5 minutes.

Serving
Serve it with roti/rice or paratha, however you may like.

Thanks Anita for such a wonderful recipe. Had a wonderful dinner with it.

Also, want to share an award from Cooking Foodie. Thanks dear for thinking about me.


The Honest Scrap Award comes with certain rules----------
1) I must brag about it.
2) I have to display the badge on my blog and link to the one who tagged me to prove that I didn't tag myself .
3) Share 10 things about myself
4) Pass the award to other fellow bloggers by visiting their site.

You can find the 10 things I shared about me here.

I cannot tell you guys how many friends I have gained in last 3 months of my journey in to this blog world. I cannot thank you all enough for all the encouragement and inspiration you provide on a regular basis. I would like to pass all these above awards to all my wonderful blogfriends and followers.


That's all for now and take care till next post, good night!!!

17 comments:

Padma said...

Congrats on your award priya. Wishes to get many more.
Regarding the kaju katli - I got around 25 pieces(approx) for 1 cup of cashew.

Kiran said...

This is a very yummy beetroot dish.We too love it with chanadaal.
Congrats on the award.

Uma said...

looks yum!! Nice dish. First time here. YOu have a nice blog :)

SathyaSridhar said...

Congrats dear on ur awards,,beetroot poriyal my faaav n here looks perfect dear..

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats on ur awards Priya, keep rocking...my all time favourite beetroot fry makes me hungry..

Soma Pradhan said...

Very healthy..i never tried to fry or make anything with beet root except adding them to rolls.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Congrats on ur awards dear! Nice fry. Simple and healthy!

Silpa said...

Thanks for trying my recipe n mentioning about it pirya..

R said...

Congrats on yet another well deserved award!! love this variation of beetroot fry, looks yum!

Namitha said...

Simple and yumm fry..Congrats Priya !

Panchpakwan said...

Congarts on Award Priya..
Beets fry looks delicious.

Sayali said...

Party time again.................:)

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. They really mean a lot :)

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. They really mean a lot :)

Nithu Bala said...

Dear Priya, Congrats on your award:-)

Beetroot fry is really yummy and I love anything with beetroot...nice recipe..

Just found that I've not sent entries to many events only after seeing your event list..hopefully will do them soon..I love the way you are helping others by having the list in your blog..thank you so much..

Cooking Foodie said...

I agree about the beet root - not a fav but will have to try this version now!

Kalai said...

Congrats on the award and wishes for many more to come!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails