Friday, April 2, 2010

Dhaniye Ke Beej Ke Laddoo - धनिये के बीज के लड्डू (Coriander Seeds' Sweet)

Hello friends,


I have come today with an unusual laddoo that many of you might not have heard of or might have...lol


Anyways, when I saw the event "Cooking with Seeds - Coriander Seeds", I thought of this. I wanted to post something different, as I cook with coriander powder everyday, so there was nothing new in it, or nothing special in it.


So, this goes to Cooking with Seeds - Coriander Seeds hosted by RV event started and started by Priya.


Dhaniye Ke Beej Ke Laddoo - धनिये के बीज के लड्डू (Coriander Seeds' Sweet)




Ingredients
Dhaniya Beej (Coriander Seeds) - 1/2 cup
Badam (Almonds) - 5-6 whole ones (for mixing in the laddoo) and 5 for garnishing
Gond (Edible Tree Sap) - 1/4 cup (You should get it in Indian store, if you don't you can skip it, optional)
Aata (Whole Wheat Flour) - 1/4 cup
Sookha Nariyal (Dry Coconut) - 1 tbsp (optional)
Cheeni (Sugar) - 1/2 cup
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1/2 cup
Preparation
Grind dhaniya and badam to a fine powder in mixie.
Roast Gond in 1 tbsp ghee, cool and grind it to fine powder. This is completely optional, I didn't have it today, so I skipped this step.
Roast aata in 1 tbsp ghee and keep till it is cool enough to handle (but not all the way cold, it should be slightly warm)
In a bowl, mix powdered dhaniya/badam, powdered gond, fried aata, dry coconut (if you like it) and sugar with the remaining melted ghee.
Once everything is mixed (if your aata is proper luke warm, sugar will slightly start becoming sticky or melting kind of and make it easy to make laddoos), make desirable sized laddoos.
Serving
Serve them anytime you feel like eating, but not more than 2-3 in a day as it brings down temp of your body (slightly).


Note: Somehow my laddoos were not coming together, so I sprinkled some water in it and then made it.


In Rajasthan, they are usually given to pregnant ladies or breastfeeding ones in summer months as dhaniya keeps the body temperature cold and thus helps them regular body temp and not fall sick due to extra heat as you know in Rajasthan some areas the temps go beyond 125 degree F (easily in all summer months).


FYI... Not everyone may like the taste of dhaniya in laddoo, I mean because one cannot imagine making laddoos with something like coriander seeds, but it is good for health and believe me you need to try it to like it.... :)


Hope you will like and enjoy it :)


Till next post, take care.

15 comments:

Kiran said...

Priya,
Very nice and healthy recipe.

SS blogs here said...

Hi Priya.. nice blog! Record number of recipes!! :) Your coriander laddoos look interesting.

I noticed Gond in this recipe. And it seems you have skipped it today. I have a general question about gond. Maybe you have experience using it previously and could suggest some ideas? The name gond suggests it is glue-like. Is it sticky? If I roast it in ghee and grind it to powder (like you suggest here), and then maybe add it to hot water or something, would I get a sticky liquid? Would that be sticky enough to hold a laddoo together? (Not necessarily this particular laddoo, any general laddoo.) What do you think?

In any case, thanks for the novel recipe.

Namitha said...

That's awesome.never thought of something like this...I would have made this if I knew this during my last pregnancy :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kiran, SS and Gulmohar.

@ SS, usually, gond is sold in pieces and it is totally not sticky, i mean it is a tree sap, but in the edible form that is in the market, it is not glue like sticky and if you roast it and then grind and mix hot water, now to be frank I have never tried. We also make "Gond Ke Laddoo" which in contrast to this one actually keeps your body warm and is usually eaten in winter months.

Sorry, not sure it was a help or not.

@ Gulmohar, don't worry, you can eat it any time.

Ms.Chitchat said...

Very innovative recipe. Never heard of dhaniya laddoo. Looks very tempting and sounds healthy too. Thanks for sharing a beautiful laddoo recipe.

SS blogs here said...

Hey Priya, thanks for the feedback. This certainly helps! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Never heard about this sweet, truly inviting and yummy..looks awesome Priya..

BDSN said...

Iam happy that I discovered your blog..Now I can learn about Rajasthan and Rajasthani recipes...

Nithu Bala said...

Dear Priya, you have a tag award waiting at my blog..
http://www.nithubala.com/2010/04/tag-award-from-latha.html

Unknown said...

Thanks Ms.Chitchat, Priya and BDSN for your comments. I will surely keep posting some of the less known and unknown recipes of Rajasthan. Please keep visiting and encouraging me :)

Nithu Bala said...

This looks really interesting..I'l try it soon sometime..

Kalai said...

Loadoos with coriander..interesting! I will try this sometime.

Champa said...

Very different, interesting recipe. I had never heard of this. Thanks for sharing.

Nupur said...

One of its kind... V Nice . thnx for this

Unknown said...

Good....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails