Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kakdi Ki Sookhi Sabzi (English Cucumber Fry)

Hello friends,


I love summer vegetables, colorful, juicy. Today, I am posting a recipe of one of such veggies, which is versatile, we make drinks, salads, snack, curries and event raita with it. It is called Kakdi -ककड़ी  in Rajasthan and many such Hindi speaking states of India. Here, in USA, the closest veggie I found to kakdi is called "English Cucumber". In India, we get a lighter version skin of this vegetable.


Kakdi Ki Sookhi Sabzi - ककड़ी की सूखी सब्जी (English Cucumber Fry)


Ingredients
Kakdi (English Cucumber) - 2 cups diced as per liking
Hari Mirch (Green Chilli) - 1 chopped finely
Meetha Neema (Curry Leaves) - 4-5 leaves
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Lal Mirch - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Amchur (Mango Powder) - 1 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Mustard Oil - 1 tsp (Feel free to use any other oil if you do not have mustard oil)
Preparation

  • Add mustard oil in a pan.
  • Add jeera, hari mirch and meetha neem leaves.
  • Once they start spluttering, add kakdi, and all dry powders..
  • Mix well, cover and simmer for 10 min. The kakdi doesn't have to get mushy, so please adjust the time based on your liking.

Serving
This is best served with warm phulka or what many simply call roti. But, it will go great with paratha and rice as well.


Sending this to Summer Foods and Drinks event of Indrani.



That's all for now. Till next post, take care.

19 comments:

SathyaSridhar said...

Priya,,cucumber curry looks perfect dear,, i never thought to cook curry in cucumber ur's looks great n perfect paa..

Pari Vasisht said...

Nice subzi, perfect for summer.

Indrani said...

wow, looks so inviting, thanks for sending it to my event, I'm blogging from my other blog now,http://riappyayan.blogspot.com..as my gmail account has been hacked, can't access my blog
send ur entries to rippyayan@gmail.com...

Kalai said...

Wow, a very interesting and a great recipe for the event Priya! Tempting picture.

shriya said...

Very different dish. Must try recipe. Looks very delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Preeti Kashyap said...

This is my fav subzi. I add hing also though. Nice recipe :)

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a beautiful dish, looks incredible..

R said...

wow just found an alternative to the usual raita after reading this post :)) nice recipe priya!

Namitha said...

Interesting recipe..never made fry out of this veggie..

Panchpakwan said...

Sounds very intresting recipe dear.

Shared some awards with you do collect it from by blog.

FewMinute Wonders said...

Hi,

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment. It is so nice to see your blog is focusing on rajasthani cuisine. I need to learn a thing or two of that cuisine. I am following you.Smiles.

SS blogs here said...

Interesting dish. Never made cooked stuff from kakdi.. Not sure if English cucumber is different from what I am thinking of here. Will check out! Cheers!

Veggie Belly said...

love this simple and light dish!

Rumana Rawat said...

Nice sabji perfect of this summer:-)

Uma said...

looks so tempting. Nice curry :)

Kanchan said...

Never thought of preparing a sabzi with cucumber, will give this a try !

Indrani said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Priya..there was typing mistake...send me to riappyayan@gmail.com..this time it's correct

Kiran said...

Very nice recipe with english cucumber.

Simplyfood said...

I have never cooked with cucumber before I will definately try this recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails