Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dahi Papd Ki Sabzi - दही पापड़ की सब्जी

Hello Friends,


You will have to look @ Ruchika's Remedy Post, it is really nice. I got little inspired by that and here are my own remedies that I regularly use for cold/cough and it really helps.






For Cold/Cough
  1. Take 1/2 tsp of ginger juice (crush ginger and squeeze the juice) with 1/2 tsp of honey (or more if you are giving it to a kid and the ginger is very spicy) 3-4 times a day and it helps get rid of cold really fast and of course natural way.
  2. Take one tsp of honey and add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper, mix it and eat it right off the spoon.
  3. Take one tsp of honey and add a pinch of freshly ground cinnamon, mix it and eat it right off the spoon.
All of the above remedies basically warms up your body thus helping you to warm up from inside and get rid of cold.

So, this is my son's favorite and of course my husband and I like it as well. 


It may sound weird for someone who has never heard about it or had it. Yes, it is Papad Ki Sabzi and yes, it is actually made from papad or what some may call appadam or pappadam.


Here is the recipe.


Dahi Papd Ki Sabzi - दही पापड़ की सब्जी
















Ingredients
Raw papad - 1 cup (I usually prefer using Lizzat Papad, but you can use any kind of your like)
Dahi (Yogurt) - 1 cup
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - Per taste (But, please don't add it till you have tasted the final product)
Hing (Asefoetida) - 1 pinch (Only if your papads do not already have them, otherwise, it will be an overdose of it and the end product will taste bitter, so read your labels)
Rai (Mustard Seeds) - 1/2 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro - To Garnish
Water - to thin down the gravy
Oil - 1 tsp
Preparation

  • Break Papad into bit size pieces about 1-1.5 inch pieces (I usually crunch them in the packet itself with hands, no need to do them individually and they dont even have to be perfectly even)
  • Add all dry masalas (except salt) in dahi and mix well (make sure no lumps are there). If your papad already is spicy (because I like to use spicy ones), reduce the amount of masalas you are using.
  • Take a pan and add oil
  • Once oil is hot, add rai and jeera and let them splutter (if your papad does not have hing, add it in this step, if your papad already has hing, please do not add it again or your recipe will taste bitter due to overdose)
  • Add Dahi mix and keep stirring till it starts boiling (which also means it will start separating oil on the sides)
  • Now, add broken papad pieces, mix well and add water as needed (once papad are cooking, they will tend to stick, so let it be little water, not a lot though as a runny curry won't be that good to taste)
  • Cover and let it cook for 4-5 min. 
  • Do mix it once or twice within 4-5 min.
  • Now, taste the sabzi and add salt, if needed (remember gravy will get salt from papad already, so most of the times, you do not have to add any salt at all).
  • Garnish it with Cilantro.

Serving
Enjoy it with hot rotis/paraths. I personally like them with rotis than parathas.


I love the recipe. Hope you guys like it too and try it. I am very sure, it will taste super yummy. There is nothing that can go wrong here.


So, enjoy !!!


Till the next recipe, take care.
~ Priya

16 comments:

Kanchan said...

Hi.. first time here from Pari's blog ! Just that my husband is a Marwadi and your blog name attracted me :)

Might browse through your posts and try out varied varieties soon !

R said...

hey priya, thnx for sharing this classic rajasthani recipe looks so yummmy..... :))

Unknown said...

@Kanchan, thanks for visiting, I have just started the blog, so have many more recipes to come. Please keep visiting and if you have any requests, please do let me know.
@Rupali, this is a real quick recipe, you hardly need 5 min. for it, so do try and it is super yummy too :)

Silpa said...

Yummy. very nice recipe.. I got some papads sitting in my pantry. i vl try this soon,
Thanks for dropping in

Ms.Chitchat said...

Wow, this is new to me and I absolutely loved it. Will surely try soon.

Unknown said...

Thanks Silpa and Ms.Chitchat. Do let me know how it was after you have tried. I am hoping you will love it.

madhurijsr said...

Hi Di...Just bought Lizzat papad today...Will definitely try...Looks Yummie!!!!!! Hope it comes out good...

Do keep posting spicy receipe's...I am a regular Visitor of ur blogsite...

Madhuri said...

Hi Di,
I just dat i bought lizzat papad today...Will surely try out the receipe...Looks Yummie!!!!!!!! Hope it comes out Well..

Keep posting spicy receipe's..i am a regular visitor of ur Blogspot..

Anonymous said...

hi priya, I have ate papad ki sabzi long back made by my grandma ,who is no more now. I am so happy to get this recipe bcoz I like this sabzi a lot n I'll definetely give it a try:)

Indian Khana said...

Tried this sabji today with just a little difference it was gud than my usual way of making pappad sabji..thanks for the recipe..will psot soon :)

Rachana said...

Thanks Priya for sending me the link. I'm making lots of parathas/ rotis etc these days. This would be a great accompaniment with the parathas. I have tons of different kinds of papads I brought from India and also from the Indian store when they were on sale :-).
Yeah...I'm very greedy when it comes to fried snacks :-))

Thanks

Kiran said...

Dear Priya,

I made this papad sabzi and posted it under tried and tasted in my blog.Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe with us.

Unknown said...

hey priya....thnx a lot for sharing the authentic recipe for this sabzi, tried it and loved...thnx...:)

Suparna said...

Looks so intresting Priya. I will surely try this. Thanks !
-Suparna

gvwrites said...

Here i was wondering what to do after i broke my papads, when ur blog came to rescue. Perfect !

Unknown said...

My daughter is after this dish from so many days..at last i got this authentic rajasthani dish in ur blog..thank you so much for this wonderful recipe...:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails