Here is a healthy recipe. We, as a family love khichdi, but this is the first time I tried using sprouted seeds, a combination of few of them and guess what, it was super yummy !!! So, without further delay, here is the recipe.
Ankurit Beejon Ki Khichdi - अंकुरित बीजों की खिचड़ी (Mixed Spicy rice with Sprouts)
Hara Matar (Dry Green Peas) - 1/4 cup, washed, soaked and sprouted
Peela Matar (Dry Yellow Peas) - 1/4 cup, washed, soaked and sprouted
Kala Chana (Black Chick Peas) - 1/4 cup, washed, soaked and sprouted
Lobia Dal (Black Eyed Peas) - 1/4 cup, washed, soaked and sprouted
Hara Moong (Whole Green Moong) - 1/4 cup, washed, soaked and sprouted
Rice - 1.5 cups, washed and drained
Onion - 1 cup
Tomato - 1 cup
Adrakh (Ginger) - 1 inch piece, grated
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1-2 tbsp, per your liking
Water - 8 cups
Lal Mirch (Red Chili) Powder - 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1 tsp
Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Laung (Clove) - 4-5
Dalchini (Cinnamon) - 1 inch piece
Badi Ilaichi (Black Cardamom) - 2
Tej Patta (Dry Bay Leaves) - 2
Paanch Fodan (mix of 5 seeds) - 1 tsp (it is a mix of saunf, jeera, kala jeera, methi and rai)
- Take a cooker on stove and add oil to it.
- Add paanch fodan, all whole masalas and let the seeds splutter and a nice aroma come from it.
- Add onion, ginger and let them fry till onion is translucent.
- Add all masala powders and let it fry for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and fry for another 2 min.
- Add all sprouts and rice, mix and fry for another 2 min.
- Add water and let it cook for about 20 min. (change the time based on how you like the consistency of your khichdi/rice)
- Remove the lid off, add ghee, mix well and cover the lid for 5 min. before serving it.
Serve this for lunch or dinner alike with a small bowl of dahi (yogurt), your favorite spicy pickle and some crunchy-munchy papad/chips.
Sending this recipe and the following to Let's Sprout event of Priya, MLLA # 25 event of Siri started by Susan and Iftar Moments: Hijri 1431 event of Ayeesha.
That's all for now. Take care till the next post.