I am sure some of you did go through a post on Champa's blog which was how she prepared rice by making her own pesto sauce. When I saw the pic and read the recipe, it was like this force, which was telling me that I had to make it. Now, I did not have everything she mentioned, but here is my own version of her rice. I simply love pesto sauce, now who doesn't, ok, I am sure there are some who don't, but still, come on, pesto with basil, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, mmm...mmm...mmm. I can eat pasta salad or simple pasta with pesto, any time for any meal. Now, to the recipe :)
Pesto Vegetables Rice
Cooked and Cooled Rice - 2 cups (I used leftover rice from afternoon)
Mixed Veggies - 1 cup, cooked as you like (I used a combo of corn, carrot and peas)
Pesto Sauce - 4 tbsp (I used store bought, but you can prepare any way you like it)
Onion - 1/2 cup, finely sliced
Garlic - 5 big cloves, minced
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Olive Oil - 1 tsp
- Cook and cool rice
- Boil all veggies with enough salt for then.
- Take a wide pan and add oil
- Once oil is hot, add fennel seeds and let nice aroma come from it.
- Add onion, garlic and salt (only for onion and garlic) to it and let it fry till golden brown. Don't make them mushy, let onions have a crunch.
- Add all veggies and pesto sauce to it and let veggies coat with sauce and let it fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, mix rice to it and turn off the heat.
We had it for dinner. But, this is a great side dish when you are entertaining people or even as a lunch/dinner.
I am sending this to Side Dish Showdown: Anything Goes event hosted by Cinnamon Girl.
That's all for now. Take care, till next post.