So, I wanted to make a dessert for my own A.W.E.D. event started by DK of Chef In You. I looked over internet and pretty much everything had egg in it and I wasn't sure enough what to substitute eggs with. But, then, when I saw this one, I immediately knew I could make this without eggs as I have tried bread pudding before.
It is called Torrijas and is very similar to our Indian bread puddings. Here are the Indian versions of bread pudding that I have tried before - Shahi Tukda, Double Ka Meetha.
Torrijas (Spanish Bread Pudding)
Bread - 2 slices (for 2 servings)
Milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Vanilla - 1 tsp (optional, I didn't use it)
Cinnamon - For sprinkling on top
Honey - For drizzling on top
- Either leave the bread outside to air dry for few hours or if you are in hurry, toast the bread in toaster till golden brown (not dark brown)
- Mix milk and sugar (and vanilla, if you are using) and microwave slightly for 1 min. or so to dissolve sugar.
- Add toasted bread in the milk mix and let it soak a little (not mushy, but just soak), i think 30 seconds to 1 minute should be ok.
- Heat a non stick pan meanwhile and add little butter to it (enough to pan fry the bread), 1 tsp or so.
- Now, add the soaked bread in the pan and fry it on both sides till golden brown.
- Take it on a serving plate and sprinkle little cinnamon and drizzle little honey as you like.
Serve it as a dessert anytime :)
That's all for now. Take care till next post.