Here is another new process I tried that I haven't tried before. I have never made this dish before and thanks to Kiran's CWF : Barley event which inspired me to make this. I am sure some of you must already be making it, but for me it was a new creation, so to say :)
Jau Ki Khichdi - जौ की खिचड़ी (Indian Curried Barley)
Jau (Pearl Barley) - 1 cup (washed and soaked in warm water for 2 hours)
Mixed Veggies - 1.5 cups (I used frozen mix of peas, carrots and corn)
Onion - 1.5 cups, sliced
Green Chilies - 2 or 3, finely chopped, per your liking
Ginger - 1 inch piece, grated
Butter - 3 tbsp
Water - 6 cups
Dry Masala Powders
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chili) Powder - 1/2 tsp
MDH Kitchen King Masala - 3 tsp (if you do not have these, feel free to use a blend of cumin/coriander/garam masala per your liking)
Salt - as per taste
- Wash and soak barley for 2 hours
- Take a cooker or heavy bottomed pan and add butter to it.
- When butter has melted, add onion, drained barley and ginger and fry till onions become translucent (about 5 min.).
- Now, add veggies and all dry masalas and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add water, mix well and cook for 35-40 min. or till well cooked. I used a cooker and it took 35 min. for the perfect consistency.
- After removing the lid, wait for about 5 min. before serving.
Serve this at lunch/dinner as a main dish (with yogurt or pickle or chips) or even as a side dish with anything else you are serving for lunch/dinner.
Along with CWF : Barley event, I am also sending this to Side Dish Showdown: Anything Goes of Cinnamon Girl and Two for Tuesdays.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.