I am sharing one of my childhood favorites when we used to love going to the market with dad and getting this cutlet chat. They were always so red and as a kid I used to wonder, why or how do they become red and later I realized that, it was because of beetroot. So, here I am maknig it all by myself. As it is a chaat, we eat it with ghughuni (which is form of a chhole back in the place I grew up), which is made with dry yellow peas. I will share that recipe sometime in future blog.
Vegetable Cutlet (with Beetroot) Chaat
Beet Root - 1 cup (grated)
Potatoes - 2 big ones (boiled and mashed)
Peas/Carrots/Beans/Corn Mix - 1 cup boiled
Onion - 1 cup chopped
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder) - 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Amchur (Mango Powder) - 1 tsp
Bread Crumbs - 1/2 cup
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 2 tsp
For the batter
Maida (All purpose Flour) - 1 cup
Water - to make it into thick batter
For Making Chat
Prepared Ghuguni (Dried Yellow Peas Curry) - 1/2 cup per Chaat plate (hot as you like)
Tamarind Sweet and Hot Chutney - 1 tsp per Chaat plate (I used Rani brand ready-made chutney)
Roasted Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1/2 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli) Powder - 1/2 tsp
Thin Sev - 1 tsp (I didn't add it while taking the picture)
Onions - 1 tsp finely chopped (I didn't add it while taking the picture)
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Coriander - 1 tsp
Oil - hot in a wok
- Mix everything under "For Cutlets" to a nice firm dough.
- Make cyllindrical shaped cutlets from this mix (check the pic for the shape I made), feel free to make any shape you may like.
- Make a thick batter of maida such that it can coat the cutlet evenly all way.
- Make an assembly line of cutlets, a bowl of maida batter and a bowl of bread crumbs.
- Now, take a cutlet, roll it in bread crumbs and then in the batter and fry the, slowly till the cutlets are well done (light brown-ish).
- Alternatively, you can completely skip maida batter and just make cutlets out of the potato/beetroot/veggie mix and bread-crumbs.
Take 2 cutlets in a serving plate. Flatten them a little. Now add all ingredients under "For Making Chat" on the cutlets (in the order mentioned)
That's all for now. Till next post, take care.