Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Besan Bhari Hari Mirch - बेसन भरी हरी मिर्च (Green Chillies Stuffed with Chick Pea Flour)

Hello friends,


Another yummy side dish made out of green chillies, yes guys, you heard it right. You might have already read Malai Mirch on my blog. As requested by one of my non-blogger friend "Kalyani", here is another one in the sequence. I have few more that I will post in future.


Again, this is a famous side dish/curry of Rajasthan, as you all know chillies are grown in Rajasthan in mass, so you will see all kinds of green chili preparations in the cuisine :)


Besan Bhari Hari Mirch - बेसन भरी हरी मिर्च (Green Chillies Stuffed with Chick Pea Flour)



Ingredients
Hari Mirch (Big Green Chillies) - 6 pieces (please check the picture for the type of green chilli I used)
Besan - 1 cup
Onion - 1 cup chopped finely
Garlic/Ginger Paste - 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder) - 1 tsp
Amcuhr (Mango Powder) - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Saunf (Fennel Seeds) - 1 tsp
Mustard Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
Preparation
To Make the Besan Stuffing

  • Roast besan to light brown.
  • Now, take a pan, add 1tbsp mustard oil, rai, saunf, jeera.
  • Once they start spluttering, add garlic/ginger and onion.
  • Let it fry till onion becomes translucent.
  • Now, add roasted besan, haldi, namak, lal mirch, amchur and garam masala.
  • Mix well and fry for one more min.

To make besan ki hari mirch

  • Slit hari mirch from the middle (a little slit), such that the chilli doesn't become two pieces and is still attached, de-seed it nicely (or else it will become too hot - so, if you would like it slightly hot, feel free to leave few seeds in...lol).
  • Apply little salt on the inner side of the green chilli (very little).
  • Now, stuff the chillies with the besan mixture made above. (If you slit the chillies too much and the stuffing is coming out, feel free to tie the chillies with a thread to keep the stuffing in)
  • Take a shallow and wide pan (non-stick is your best bet).
  • Add 2 tbssp oil in the pan and once it is hot, slowly add stuffed chillies in it one by one. 
  • Keep them covered for 3-4 minutes and them remove cover and shallow fry them till they are all done. (I kind of kept them little longer - got distracted, so please keep an eye on your chillies).

Serving
Serve them with roti/paratha while they are warm.


Hope you like this preparation of chilli and one of you daring cooks may try it out :) Let me assure you it is not as hot as it may sound as remember we are de-seeding the chillies completely.


Sending this to Green Gourmet event of Preeti.




That's all for now. Take care till next post.

36 comments:

Kiran said...

Wow Priya a colorful and yummy Chilli pepper dish.Very tempting.Nice pic.

Question : can I substitute cashew for almonds in the thandai.Let me know.

? said...

I have had variations of this classic from Bihar and UP! Thank you for sharing these recipes!

Rumana Rawat said...

Wow... lovely i love this hari mirch with besan.... i can have any time..

Nithu Bala said...

Priya, I love this..I've made something bit similar to this yesterday..will be posting sometime soon..loved the pictures too..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Dear,
Lovely recipe. Can this be baked instead of fried? Let me know!

Preeti Kashyap said...

this is perfect for the event priya! last date is 9th june, thanks for noticing.

Unknown said...

wow..beautifully cooked..should be so yumm..

Kanchan said...

My husband who is a marwadi ; showed this recipe and I agree with you about these green chilies being used quite often in that part of country, I guess thats the reason he loves loads of variations with these chillies.

I had not seen the malai vala recipe but liked that too ! Never prepared it but heard from my husband about it so will give it a try for sure :)

thanks ! and sorry for a long comment :P

Sushma Mallya said...

Very nicely done,looks too tempting...

Priya Suresh said...

Prefect besan stuffed chillies, looks awesome..

Niloufer Riyaz said...

truly colourful and spicy

SathyaSridhar said...

very delicious n nice chilli stuffing fry dear,,i got these chillies sure hv to try this today...

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi I love them and I would not mind the seeds too, provided there's phiki dal to go with it.

Soma Pradhan said...

Nice Recipe dear.. I like all the posts in ur blog/....m a biggest fan of rajasthani cuisine

Preeti Kashyap said...

Thanks so much for sending in this awesome recipe, Priya.

divya said...

thanks for visiting our blog and for the lovely comments.ur blog is amazing too.colorful and yummy Chilli pepper dish.Very tempting.Nice pic.
sure i will be a frequent visitor here and love to see new recipes from you following you dear..nice day n happy blogging

AJ said...

Lovely - bharawan mirch is such a treat!!

Namitha said...

Love them :-)

Malar Gandhi said...

Stuffed hari mirch sounds terrific, love hot, super-hot food so much, this is my kind of dish, pls pass the plate:)will try this recipe for sure:)thanks for sharing, dear.

turmericnspice said...

Looks AWESOME...crunchy spicy and yum!!

Unknown said...

Sounds new n yummy!

Madhavi said...

OMG this mirchi looks hot yummmm :))

Unknown said...

Thank you very much guys for all the comments. I love you all for encouraging me like this :)

hamaarethoughts.com said...

nice ..hot recipe..looks YUmmy

Sailaja said...

wow Priya.. mouth watering

panchpakwan said...

Looks so hot and spciy recipe..
Loved it!

Simplyfood said...

I love this stuffed chilli dish.It goes well with kadhi and rice.I make this often but slightly diff way to yours.
I like your addition of garam masla and amchur powder I am going to try it your way next time.

Unknown said...

WOW! What a spicy and yummy dish! I will definitely try it out, Priya..

Chetana Suvarna Ganatra said...

Anything chilly..i luvv....a very delicious page u hv Priya.
Me too a food blogger fm down under.
Cheers,
Chetana
www.myrecipegalore.blogspot.com

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

Spicy Chilly Fry..very tempting..Never tried anything of this sort. Will try it soon.

Thanks for visiting my blog..Do try to participate in the Event...

Rajee Mani said...

Love hot and spicy stuffed chilli.

Suman said...

just keeping scrolling down n getting to see delicious looking food...too good...very tempting...will be visting often..

Torviewtoronto said...

Congrats Priya
a well deserved winner lovely recipe :)

themustardseed said...

Oh what a mouthwatering dish! Looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Hi I am new to cooking but you have helped me a lot. I got very good appreciation for preparing this chilli dish from all in my family members. My dad jus loves this and always asks for more. Thanks take care.

Unknown said...

Your WEBPAGE is NOT READABLE due to it's Theme. Please Change it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails