Friday, May 7, 2010

Vegetable Cutlet (with Beetroot) Chaat

Hello friends,


I am sharing one of my childhood favorites when we used to love going to the market with dad and getting this cutlet chat. They were always so red and as a kid I used to wonder, why or how do they become red and later I realized that, it was because of beetroot. So, here I am maknig it all by myself. As it is a chaat, we eat it with ghughuni (which is form of a chhole back in the place I grew up), which is made with dry yellow peas. I will share that recipe sometime in future blog.


Vegetable Cutlet (with Beetroot) Chaat




Ingredients
For cutlets
Beet Root - 1 cup (grated)
Potatoes - 2 big ones (boiled and mashed)
Peas/Carrots/Beans/Corn Mix - 1 cup boiled
Onion - 1 cup chopped
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder) - 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Amchur (Mango Powder) - 1 tsp
Bread Crumbs - 1/2 cup
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 2 tsp
For the batter
Maida (All purpose Flour) - 1 cup
Water - to make it into thick batter
For Making Chat
Prepared Ghuguni (Dried Yellow Peas Curry) - 1/2 cup per Chaat plate (hot as you like)
Tamarind Sweet and Hot Chutney - 1 tsp per Chaat plate (I used Rani brand ready-made chutney)
Roasted Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1/2 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli) Powder - 1/2 tsp
Thin Sev - 1 tsp (I didn't add it while taking the picture)
Onions - 1 tsp finely chopped (I didn't add it while taking the picture)
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Coriander - 1 tsp
For Frying
Oil - hot in a wok
Preparation

  • Mix everything under "For Cutlets" to a nice firm dough.
  • Make cyllindrical shaped cutlets from this mix (check the pic for the shape I made), feel free to make any shape you may like.
  • Make a thick batter of maida such that it can coat the cutlet evenly all way.
  • Make an assembly line of cutlets, a bowl of maida batter and a bowl of bread crumbs.
  • Now, take a cutlet, roll it in bread crumbs and then in the batter and fry the, slowly till the cutlets are well done (light brown-ish).
  • Alternatively, you can completely skip maida batter and just make cutlets out of the potato/beetroot/veggie mix and bread-crumbs.

Serving
Take 2 cutlets in a serving plate. Flatten them a little. Now add all ingredients under "For Making Chat" on the cutlets (in the order mentioned)


That's all for now. Till next post, take care.

16 comments:

Kiran said...

Wow, awesome beet cutlet chaat.
Love this new to me ,bookmarked.
Wow, I have so many of your recipes bookmarked I better try them fast otherwise the list seems to be increasing.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Kiran for bookmarking my recipes. I feel honored :)

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

Wow.. new to me and looks awesome

Sushma Mallya said...

Cutlet chaat looks so delicious, such a awesome idea priya, too good and very hard to resist..

Aruna Manikandan said...

Wow...
looks very tempting and delicious dear....
Haven't tried this combination yet...

Chetana Suvarna Ganatra said...

Priya thks for stopping by my blog...i too make my cutlets wit beet...only way to stuff beet in my juniors appetite.
Nver tried to make a chaat out of it....very interesting....thks for sharing.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

awesome cutlets... love the colors...

Unknown said...

looks super delicious.. and healthy..

Simplyfood said...

This chat looks amazing,never tried it before but I am sure it will taste super.

Niloufer Riyaz said...

a very colourful cutlets

Sailaja said...

creative thinking of using beet as cutlet. Will definitely try.

Kanchan said...

I always prepare Beet cutlet but never used in chaat ! Nice innovative idea , will try that soon.

Suja Manoj said...

Cutlet chats looks so yummy..beautiful color..

Unknown said...

Lovely and colorful cutlets..I have never used beets for preparing cutlets, will surely try next time..

SS blogs here said...

Somehow seem to have missed this one. Looks so yummy! That is one healthy chaat! :)

Kristu said...

I know you published this recipe quite some time ago, but I just stumbled onto it today... I was googling recipe ideas for cutlet chaat, and your recipe came up... Being that my husband is from Malwa district in MP, your blog was even more appealing to me :) Thankfully I had some beets in the fridge that were just waiting to be turned into something delicious. The cutlets were absolutely amazing :) I ended up making this recipe and we cooled off our mouths with some lovely beetroot halwa. This evening's food was a great hit in my house! Thank you for your recipe. I will definitely be making these cutlets again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails