Monday, May 24, 2010

Coconut Milk Vegetable Rice Pilaf and an award

Hello friends,


Here is what we just had for lunch. An amazing and rich looking recipe that I had bookmarked a while ago from Ruchika Cooks. Today was the day when I prepared it finally. It is called Coconut Milk Vegetable Rice Pilaf. I don't think the picture does justice to how rich and literally creamy (as creamy a rice dish can be) it was. I have never cooked rice with coconut milk. For that matter, I have only cooked once before with coconut milk, so don't have much experience.


Coconut Milk Vegetable Rice Pilaf


Ingredients
White Rice - 1 cup (wash and soak in water for about 10 min.)
Coconut Milk - 3 cups (I used canned version)
Onion - 1 cup, finely chopped
Mixed veggies - 1 cup (I used frozen)
Ginger - 1 inch piece, grated
Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
Green Chillies - 4 slit in the middle (not all the way, just half way)
Bay Leaf - 2 small leaves
Cinnamon - 2 small pieces
Black Cardamom - 1
Cloves - 4-5
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Preparation

  • Take a pan and add oil to it.
  • Once oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves to it.
  • When nice aroma starts coming from it, add ginger and garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
  • Add onion and green chillies to it and fry till it is translucent.
  • Add veggies and fry for 2-3 min.
  • Add drained rice to it along with salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
  • Now, transfer this to a cooker (if using rice cooker or pressure cooker) and add coconut milk, mix well and cook till rice is well done.

Serving
This can be served with a nice spicy side dish as the rice is not very spicy by itself. My son had it just like that as it was just perfect for him and I had it with mouth watering spicy zucchini chutney given to me by a very dear friend of mine. I will be posting that recipe very soon.


The only thing I changed from this dish was I added 2 cups coconut milk and 1 cup water (as I ran out of it), but just because of this change, I am sending this to Blog Bites: Adaptation event of Nupur.


I am so happy to tell that SS has shared a wonderful award with me and I need to share my favorite pic for this. Thanks you very much to think of me and sharing this with me. I would like to in turn share this with all my blogger friends who visit and encourage me every day :) 


I have  many favorite pics, but here is one of the best. It's that of Lake Tahoe from an elevation. 






That's all for now. Take care till next post.

35 comments:

R said...

this looks so colorful and yummy!

Preeti Kashyap said...

This looks lovely! yummm!

Umm Mymoonah said...

Pilaf looks lovely with the flavour of coconut milk and all veggies.
And your picture, it's so beautiful, there is no words to explain this marvellous natural beauty.

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

thats an awesome rice dish..love tht coconut milk hnt...congrats on ur awards and lovely pic of lake tahoe..we went there lst year..when we were in bay area...

Anu Nandu said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog - you are fast - btw - I just realized you live in Rancho - not too far from where I live - maybe we should gather all LA/OC area bloggers and meet up soon! With lots of food of course! LOL!

Love the coconut with veggies rice pilaf - something about coconut and rice make me go weak in the knees - I have a terrible weakness for these - will try it soon!

Veggie Belly said...

what a beautiful recipe! i love the idea of adding coconut milk!

SS blogs here said...

Hey Priya.. I remember seeing this rice and the addition of coconut milk in it. Looks pretty. Congratulations for the awards. Cheers!

Prema said...

wat a colourful rice pilaf-very interesting yar.Love the coconut flavour in rice.Gr8!nice presentation too.

Nupur said...

Thanks for a delicious entry!

Sayali said...

NIce pic Priya

Uma said...

looks so delicious.

Unknown said...

coconut milk gives a rich flavour to the pulao..looks yumm..

Kiran said...

Veg pulao in combo with coconut milk looks very delicious and flavorful.Nice pic.Pass the bowl please.

Chetana Suvarna Ganatra said...

Totally agree with you Priya....me too love to make coconut rice...it sort of compliments a heavy spicy curry.
Cheers.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks yum...

Sushma Mallya said...

wow that looks very delicious...

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

yummy rice...delicious...!

Kanchan said...

This does look totally rich , even I've to try one with coconut milk for long time now, will give it a try soon !

Indian Khana said...

Looks yummy and nice....

Cooking Foodie said...

Priya - I shared an award with you too... BTW lovely shot of Lake Tahoe..

Rice looks good!

Priya Suresh said...

Fabulous pilaf, looks catchy with those veggies..

SathyaSridhar said...

Pilaf looks perfect n delicious dear, the pic looks beautiful dear.

Rachel said...

wow with coconut milk...truly decadent

My Kitchen Antics said...

never tried making pilaf with coconut milk..im sure it would have tasted heavenly

Life is beautiful !!! said...

Congratulations on the award and this pilaf looks very beautiful. Gr8 click.

Namitha said...

Pretty rice dish and lake Tahoe as beautiful as ever :-)

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Yummy rice and love that beautiful shot of Lake Tahoe....

Sailaja said...

Nice click of Tahoe. Yummy Rice

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

..pls collect ur award from my blog as a token of gratitude and love

Panchpakwan said...

So yummy rice. congarts on award.

So beautiful pic of lake tahoe.

Rajee Mani said...

Yummy rice. I too made some just last week and its in my drafts to be posted this week ;-)

Unknown said...

This must have been a richly delicious rice :D

Gita Jaishankar said...

Congrats on your award Priya...that's a lovely click dear :) coconut milk rice looks so inviting...nicely presented :)

Simplyfood said...

Pilaf looks wonderful and colourful.Healthy too.

Malar Gandhi said...

Perfect pilaf, love it. Nice picture...thanks for sharing, congrats on the award, happy blogging my friend:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails