Here is what we just had for lunch. An amazing and rich looking recipe that I had bookmarked a while ago from Ruchika Cooks. Today was the day when I prepared it finally. It is called Coconut Milk Vegetable Rice Pilaf. I don't think the picture does justice to how rich and literally creamy (as creamy a rice dish can be) it was. I have never cooked rice with coconut milk. For that matter, I have only cooked once before with coconut milk, so don't have much experience.
Coconut Milk Vegetable Rice Pilaf
White Rice - 1 cup (wash and soak in water for about 10 min.)
Coconut Milk - 3 cups (I used canned version)
Onion - 1 cup, finely chopped
Mixed veggies - 1 cup (I used frozen)
Ginger - 1 inch piece, grated
Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
Green Chillies - 4 slit in the middle (not all the way, just half way)
Bay Leaf - 2 small leaves
Cinnamon - 2 small pieces
Black Cardamom - 1
Cloves - 4-5
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Take a pan and add oil to it.
- Once oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves to it.
- When nice aroma starts coming from it, add ginger and garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and green chillies to it and fry till it is translucent.
- Add veggies and fry for 2-3 min.
- Add drained rice to it along with salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now, transfer this to a cooker (if using rice cooker or pressure cooker) and add coconut milk, mix well and cook till rice is well done.
This can be served with a nice spicy side dish as the rice is not very spicy by itself. My son had it just like that as it was just perfect for him and I had it with mouth watering spicy zucchini chutney given to me by a very dear friend of mine. I will be posting that recipe very soon.
The only thing I changed from this dish was I added 2 cups coconut milk and 1 cup water (as I ran out of it), but just because of this change, I am sending this to Blog Bites: Adaptation event of Nupur.
I am so happy to tell that SS has shared a wonderful award with me and I need to share my favorite pic for this. Thanks you very much to think of me and sharing this with me. I would like to in turn share this with all my blogger friends who visit and encourage me every day :)
I have many favorite pics, but here is one of the best. It's that of Lake Tahoe from an elevation.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.