Sunday, May 2, 2010

Quinoa and Apple - Raisin - Almond Salad

Hello Friends,


Lately, so many of you have been tempting and inspiring me, cooking with with Quinoa, that I had to cook with it and taste it. So, here is one of my very first quinoa recipe taken from "Family Fun" magazine (edition May 2010). I was reading at my son's math's class waiting room :)


If you want to kn ow more about Quinoa, please click on the word Quinoa. Source: Wikipedia.



Quinoa and Apple - Raisin - Almonds Salad


Ingredients
Quinoa - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups (to cook quinoa)
Diced Tart Apple - 1 cup
Toasted Almonds - 1/2 cup
Golden Raisins - 1/3 cup
Dressing
Honey - 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 1/4 cup
Olive oil - 3 tbsp
Salt and papper - as per taste
Preparation

  • Take a heavy bottomed pan, heat water to cook quinoa and let it come to boil.
  • Add quinoa, mix well, cover and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  • Let it cool down completely. 
  • Meanwhile dice apples and toast almonds.
  • Add raisins, apples, almonds to cooked and cooled quinoa.
  • Refrigerate it till right before serving.
  • Mix all the ingredients of dressing in a bowl.

Serving
Toss salad with dressing right before serving and serve it before any meal or enjoy it simply as an evening snack.


I had prepared it when one of my very good friends came for lunch yesterday. Even they had never tasted or actually even heard of quinoa. It was liked by all :)


One thing I forgot to mention above. You do not see any almonds in my picture because I had only little left and I burnt them while toasting them (I got distracted) :(


Thanks to all the blogging friends who introduced me to this grain.


I am sending this to Soup, Salad & Sammies Sundays event by DEBINHAWAII
[Souper+Sundays2.JPG] 


I am also sending this to Innovative Salad # 2 - Fruits event.


That's all for now, take care till next post.

25 comments:

Kalai said...

Delicious looking Salad, and a healthy one too.

Kiran said...

Priya,A very wonderful,simple and healthy quinoa salad.Way to go.

SS blogs here said...

Have never made or seen or eaten quinoa myself. Nice to see you experimenting! Interesting recipe. Looks like you liked Quinoa then. :) Cheers!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am a big fan of quinoa and this salad looks delicious.
Thanks for sending it to Souoer Sundays and joining in this week.

Aloha,

Deb

Rumana Rawat said...

Hello priya, i think this very healthy and delicious salad... looks perfect;-)

Cool Lassi(e) said...

What a delicious looking sweet salad. I am seeing too many posts with Quinoa these days!

Ms.Chitchat said...

Never tasted quinoa and u r tempting me to buy some and prepare those awesome dishes. Salad looks too good,did not miss the almonds much,not to worry.

Muneeba said...

Y'know, I've never had quinoa .. you've made me very curious about it ... maybe I'll search for it in my grocery store and experiment!

Unknown said...

Thanks Guys for your comments. I am happy to know that many of you have heard for it the first time and hopefully, you will use it in your recipes. Just for other visitors, who have not heard or eaten it before, I am adding a wiki link in the post.

Sushma Mallya said...

I have never tasted quinoa but love to start with this recipe soon...healthy and yummy

Aruna Manikandan said...

healthy delicious salad :-)

Meena said...

lovely n unique quinoa salad...never saw this combo before!!! love the look of quinoa...looks shiny n nicely cooked.

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a beautiful combo for a salad, looks yummy Priya..

Saritha said...

Never tasted quinoa,since last few days i have seen few recipe in the blog sphere,should give a try.

SathyaSridhar said...

Nice salad n healthy quinoa mixed with fruit woow great dear..

Simplyfood said...

I too have noticed many quinoa recipes in bloggyworld.May be its time to try it out.Your sald looks healthy and delicious.

Panchpakwan said...

Very innovative recipes dear..Cute serving bowl..

shriya said...

I've always wanted to try quino. Never get a chance to do so. Your salad looks so yummy and delicious.

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone for wonderful comments. I guess all of us who haven't had quinoa before, should at least try it once. By itself, it doesn't have any taste, so this need to be incorporated with some spices or other stuff.

Namitha said...

Such a healthy and yumm salad

TREAT AND TRICK said...

This is healthy and yummy salad but never tasted quinoa before, It's high time I should try it....

Padmajha said...

I am sure this is a salad that is worth trying out!!

Unknown said...

We have some awards waiting for you at our space. Please do stop by to collect them.

Unknown said...

I love that picture and recipe, Priya..So healthy and delicious..

Parul said...

thanks a lot for linking this Innovative salad with Innovative salad event of Cook Healthy Blog. Please add a link and logo of the event so that event and this lovely salad will be linked to each other.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails