Here is one more very favorite recipe of Whole Brown Lentils. I love these whole lentils or grains :)
Sabut Masoor ki Masale Wali Dal - साबुत मसूर की मसाले वाली दाल (Spicy Whole Brown Lentils)
Sabut Masoor (Whole Brown Lentils) - 1 cup, washed
Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
Tomato - 1 cup chopped
Hari Mirch (Green Chillies) - 3-4 finely sliced (increase or decrease based on your taste)
Ginger - 1 inch piece grated
Garlic - 4-5 cloves
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Amchur - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Lemon juice - 1-2 tsp (based on your taste)
Cilantro - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Ghee - 2 tsps
- Take cooker (I ideally use cooker so that I can use the same to cook the final product as well and do not have to change it into a cooker later), add oil
- Add rai and jeera and let them splutter
- Add hari mirch, ginger and garlic and fry for 1 min.
- Add chopped onion and fry them till they are transulcent
- Add all dry masalas (except garam masala) and fry for 1 min.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 1 min . (no need to wait till they are all mushy)
- Add sabut masoor and mix well.
- Add enough water to cover the dal and a little extra.
- Put the lid on the cooker (or transfer it to cooker if you didn't take a cooker to begin with) and let it cook for about 15-20 min. (depending on how mushy you would like your dal to be, but make sure your masoor holds shape and does not become beaten)
- After removing the lid, mix dal, add lemon juice, garam masala and cilantro to the cooked dal and cover the lid again (do not mix after adding garnishings at this point). Let it be like that at least for 10-15 min.
- Add water to change consistency. Remember, this dal is not very runny, but used little thicker.
Serve it with rice or roti/paratha. I can actually eat it just like that and it is a great meal on its own.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.