With A.W.E.D - Burma hosted by Swathi and brainchild of DK, wanted to try some Burmese cuisine which I will admit, I have never eaten before, but heard that it is very close to Indian cuisine and is actually influenced by quite a few neighboring countries.
While, I was searching for the recipe to make, this one caught my eye as it is a fritter and I could guess the results, so went ahead with trying it out :) I used recipe from here.
Baya Kyaw - Yellow Split Pea Fritters
Yellow Split Peas - 1 cup (Washed and Soaked overnight)
Onion - 1 cup (finely chopped)
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Salt - as per taste
Oil - for deep frying only
- Drain yellow split peas. Take half of it and coarsely grind with no water.
- Take the other half and fine grind it with very little water (we don't want a runny batter).
- Now, mix all other ingredients (except oil) and keep aside.
- Once oil is hot, take a spoonful of batter or use your hand and drop it in hot oil.
- Let it fry to golden brown on medium flame.
- Drain on a paper towel.
Serve it as a perfect snack for tea time or as an appetizer before main course. Enjoy !!!
I had to stop my son from eating further as I also made some pooris (recipe later) which are his favorite.
Thats's all for now. Take care till next post.