Here is an inspired Curried Spinach Rice recipe. Coincidentally, 2 of my blogger friends had posted it in the month of May. Nithu's and Sailaja's Spanish Rice tempted me so much that I had to try it out. Please check their recipes to see how they made it.
I had this frozen spinach in my freezer for not sure how long, so I went ahead and used that as well, thus sending this to Nupur's BB4 event.
Palak Wale Masala Chawal - पालक वाले मसाला चावल (Curried Spinach Rice)
Chawal (Rice) - 1 cup
Palak (Spinach) - 2 cups (washed and chopped, I used frozen)
Pyaaz (Onion) - 1 cup sliced
Tomato - 1 cup diced
Lahsan (Garlic) - 4 big cloves
Hari Mirch (Green Chillies) - 3 big ones (reduce or increase based on how hot you like the rice to be)
Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) - 1 tbsp (crushed between your palms)
Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Wash rice before all other preparations begin
- Take a pan and add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add garlic and green chillies and fry them for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onions and fry them till translucent.
- Add all dry powders, kasoori methi and namak. Mix well and fry for 1 min.
- Add diced tomatoes and mix well. No need to fry it.
- Add spinach and let it cook till spinach wilts nicely.
- Let it cool down for few min. and grind everything together.
- Pour the ground paste rice cooker and mix rice with it.
- Instead of adding plain water, I recommend add requirement amount of water in the blender and then add that to the rice (So that the remaining ground paste from the jar also is used).
- At this step, I also added frozen peas and green beans to my rice directly.
- Let it cook till rice is well done.
Serve it warm with some plain curd or raita as you may like.
I am also sending this to Healing Foods - Onions event hosted by Priya and started by Siri and to Think Spice Think Garam Masala event hosted by Sara and started by Sunitha of Sunitha's World.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.