I have been meaning to make it for past whole month and just got the time today. I have never made or had it before, but just wanted to give it a try.
I am glad that I tried as I loved it. I made it in a very similar manner to how we will make rice pudding.
Jau Ki Kheer - जौ की खीर (Barley Pudding)
Pearl Barley - 1/2 cup
Milk - 8 cups (I used skimmed, but use anything you prefer)
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ilaichi (Green Cardamom) Powder - 1/2 tsp
Raisin and Cashew (Kishmish and Kaju) - 1 tbsp each
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak barley for 3-4 hours.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan or pressure cooker and cook till barley is well cooked (not mushy, but well cooked).
- Add sugar, ilaichi powder and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Switch off the heat.
- Take ghee in a small pan and fry kaju and kishmish.
- Garnish kheer with fried kaju and kishmish.
Serve it warm or chilled as you prefer for dessert. As you all know, we like it warm :)
I am sending this to Kiran's Cooking With Whole Foods - Barley event.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.