Here is a little unusual kind of halwa, that I just happened to prepare with some leftover grated cauliflower that I used in making Baris. I actually grated the whole big cauliflower which obviously was not needed. So, I made some Cauliflower-Paneer Paratha (recipe will be posted soon) and then with some more leftover grated cauliflower, planned to make this. Never saw or ate this before, actually, never even heard of it. I thought of experimenting and knew it cannot come out bad. But, I did not know that it will come out this well. You can actually taste the grainy mawa and subtle taste of cauliflower in your mouth. Simply delicious !!!
Gobhi - Mawa Halwa - गोभी - मावा हलवा (Cauliflower and Reduced Milk Fudge)
Cauliflower - 2 cups, grated (this is the grated quantity)
Mawa - 2 cups, crumbled
Sugar - 1 cup
Elaichi (Green Cardamom) Powder - 1 tsp
Kaju/Kishmish (Cashews/Raisins) - 1 tbsp each, roasted in ghee
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1/4 cup
- Heat ghee in a pan and add grated cauliflower to it.
- Fry it till it is cooked and soft (about 4-5 minutes)
- Add mawa, elaichi powder to it and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Your cue will be ghee leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add sugar to it. The moment you do this and mix, your halwa will become thin. Don't panic.
- Add roasted kaju/kishmish and keep stirring it for about 3 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes before serving.
- In these 3-4 minutes, it will become thicker and will gain halwa consistency.
Serve it as a dessert anytime.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.