Rajasthani Gujhiya - राजस्थानी गुझिया (Rajasthani Sweet Pastry Snack)
For the outer Layer dough
Maida (all Purpose Flour) - 2 cups
Ghee or Oil - 2 tbsps
Baking Powder - 1 tsp (Optional, I just saw someone adding and added and liked, but traditionally you don't)
Salt - per taste
Warm Water - about 3/4 to 1 cup water
Oil - for deep frying gujhiyas
Mawa/Khoa (Reduced Milks) - 1 cup
Mixed Toasted Nuts - 1 cup (I used a combo of Broken Cashew, Pistachio and Almonds)
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Kesar (Saffron Strands) - few for garnishing and mixing in the filling.
- Mix everything for the dough except water well.
- Add warm water, little by little and mix it into a hard dough.
- Cover and let it rest for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, take a non-stick pan.
- Add ghee and fry mawa (khoa) till it is nice and aromatic (light golden). Make sure it is not too darkened as it will get cooked a little in oil too.
- Take it off the heat and mix everything else for the filling and let it cool a bit.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep bottomed pan.
- Pinch a small lemon sized ball from the dough and roll it into a circular shape (about 3-4 inches in diameter), depending on the mould you are using. If you are not using a mould, that is fine, then too, you can roll it into a 3-4 inch diameter circle.
- Now, place a big spoonful (about 1-2 tbsps) of filling in the middle. Eyeball the filling as you will know based on your circle, how much it will take comfortable.
- Apply little water on the edges of the circle and now fold the circle with filling in half (just as you see in my picture).
- Make all the dough into gujhiyas like this.
- Now, slwly slide your gujhiyas in hot oil till (based on your kadahi - wok size, you can make multiples in one batch).
- Deep fry them in medium heat, so that it is cooked well and to perfection (golden).
- Drain them on paper towel.
- Put them in serving dish and garnish with saffron strands and some nuts. You can also garnish with silver foil, if you have any.
- You can make up to 20 gujhiyas (varies depending on the size and all) from these ingredients.
Enjoy them as a snack anytime. It is not too sweet, so can be had literally anytime. Even with your evening tea or coffee :)
That's all for now. Do check out what other BM bloggers are doing.