Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mawa Malpua (Malpua II)

Hello Friends,


Another Blogging Marathon week. It is BM # 6 and I am doing Regional Specials again and will be posting 7 days of Rajasthani Delicacies.


This time I wanted to start with a famous dessert :)


This is actually a Holi special, or shall I say we like to make it anytime. I learnt this from my SIL. I always used to make it like Malpua - I (which my mom taught me - kind of Bihari style).


Mawa Malpua - मावा मालपुआ (Reduced Milk Dessert)
Ingredients
Maida - 1 cup
Cheeni - 1 cup
Mawa - 1 cup
Warm Milk - to make thick batter (such that it can be spread on a griddle)
Grounded Ilaichi-  4-5
Grounded Kali Mirch - 5-7
Ghee/Oil - For frying
Pistachios and Almonds - For Garnishing
For Syrup
Sugar - 1.5 cups
Water - 3/4 cup
Preparation
  • Make 1 string sugar syrup with syrup ingredients (basically bring it to boil and let it cook for 3-4 minutes). Let it come to room temp and keep ready.
  • Mix all the ingredients of malpua except oil (like fritter or pancake batter).
  • Pour a spoonful of batter on a hot griddle and spread it like you would do for a small uttapam/pancake. 
  • Make it only that of a poori size (about 3 inches in diameter). 
  • Pour little oil/ghee on and around it and let it cook on each side for 60-90 seconds on medium heat. 
  • Once it is done dip malpuas in syrup and remove immediately.
  • Another way of doing it (if you are lazy like me), you can mix syrup in the batter itself and skip the extra step of dipping it in syrup. I usually make a few by dipping and then become too lazy and mix both and do the rest. The taste surely will be slightly different between both.
  • You can also deep fry these malpuas and don't really have to do it on griddle. I do it just to consume less ghee/oil.
  • Malpuas are usually thick like pancake/uttapam. Make sure that it is cooked properly on both sides and it is not left raw from inside.
Serve As the other malpua, this can be eaten hot or cold as you may like. Garnish malpuas with some chopped pista and sliced almonds. It is also traditionally topped with some hot rabri (reduced milk dessert). I personally prefer warm ones :)


That's all for now. Take care till next post.

48 comments:

Aarthi said...

that looks so sweet and yummy

? said...

Looks delicious Priya!

harini-jaya said...

I like the pan fried ones better than deep fried ones :) Cool idea !

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Stupendously delicious looking malpua. Excellent dessert.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Pushpa said...

What a treat looks delicious Priya.

Deeksha said...

Wow! Looks super delicious! I wish I could grab it now:)

Sin-A-Mon (Monika) said...

oh I absolutely love malpua but have never tried making it... will try this sometime soon

Lifewithspices said...

one of my fav sweet..have never tried this.. looks so perfect ..

Mélange said...

I absolutely loved your theme.Hoping to see more of Rajasthan flavours from here..
Malpua looks tempting and wonderful.Love to try this.Only the thing,I have to prepare Mawa even before.Lemme see.

Raksha said...

I loved this dish. I should try this.

vaishali sabnani said...

these r really delicious...make them in the same way....except for pepper!

Usha said...

I recently tasted malpua at a desi sweet store in NJ. I was delicious and I thought it was a bengali sweet. Learnt something new and your malpua looks awesome

Mugdha said...

looks sooo yummy and mouthwatering...:)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

A super yummy sweet....love your pic...

Sobha Shyam said...

looks delicious dear..very tempting..love it..

Suja Manoj said...

Wonderful dessert,looks so inviting,delicious

Vardhini said...

Lovely Rajasthani dish. Good to learn about new delicacies.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy looking malupas

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely delicious authentic dessert.

Priya Suresh said...

Woww u rock gal, am very happy to learn some more Rajasathani dishes from u..Malpua looks extremely irresistible and divine..

tinyskillet said...

I love it here, and really liking your authentic recipes! This looks amazing, and so interesting to me, yummy.

Suma Gandlur said...

Looks fabulous Priya. Waiting to see what you come up with next. I chose regional dishes for the next week session.

sonu said...

wow..looks mouthwatering...who can b more happy priya :)) ...im so excited to see some more rajasthani delicacies from u...plsss send this and all ur other coming up / archieved entries to flavours of rajasthan event !

Archana Vivek said...

wow too good. I am going to try this. I have been searching for this recipe for quite long time.Thanks.

Pavani said...

Yummy. Those malpuas look mouth watering. Looking forward to your regional specials during the marathon.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your lovely comment Priya.Mawa malpua sounds so mouth watering.I am very glad to run with you in this marathon and love to learn more recipes from Rajasthan.I book marked few recipes from your place,let you know when I post them.Waiting to see some traditional Rajasthani recipes from you.

Srivalli said...

Wow those are looking wonderful..I am so looking fwd to your entries..

Angela said...

This looks beautiful. I can see why it is one of your specialties.

aipi said...

Perfection! Hubby totally loves malpuas (he can eat ten in one go :) The mawa ones are his favorite..
Good to hear you are starting the marathon again, looking forward to all the delicious Rajasthani delicacies ~ Go gal!
US Masala

Unknown said...

i love this though never tried at home..looks yumm

Radhika said...

I love malpuas. You made me crave for some.

Jayashree said...

This looks so rich and yum.....

Treat and Trick said...

I never tried this but when I saw yours, tempted to try, it is so delicious...

The Housewife said...

OMG Priya… I have such a sweet tooth and the picture of the malpua is pure perfection! How about sending some my way? We should have a blogger potluck!

Kalyani said...

Lovely and yummy ! had this ages ago.. !!

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

These are one of my favorites, though I have never tried making them myself...malpua looks absolutely mouthwatering

Indian Khana said...

Wow this looks so gud Priya ....I wish can taste some :)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

amazingly delicious...Am turning big fan of your recipes priya..:)

Tasty Appetite

Sanctified Spaces said...

I have eaten this in Rajasthani dabbas...nice to see the yummy recipe here.

chef and her kitchen said...

I just love malpuas...they r rich n yummy...looks perfect

chef and her kitchen said...

I just love malpuas...they r rich n yummy...looks perfect

Anonymous said...

Woww.. I have never had Malupua.. It looks soo yummyy.. :D But it looks similar to a Keralite sweet called "Boliga" :D Only difference is that "Boli" or "Boliga" is as thin as a phulka :D This looks awesome :D

divya said...

looks delicious dear..very tempting..love it..

Cefzil said...

I was searching for blogs related to Rajsthani dish.Great work .My kids will love it.

Thanks
________
Roger

Archana said...

Not had malpuas in ages. This one has me drooling.Looks good, no fabulous!

Anonymous said...

this is an absolute favorite of mine. photo looks great.

Anu Nandu said...

Wow - you've made malpua sound so effortless. Looks awesome!

Degchi said...

Delicious is the word. Your malpua reminds me of the famous pushkar,Ajmer malpua. sometimes I make quick fix malpua with evaporated milk.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails