Moong Dal Ki Pakodi aur Kadhi - मूंग दाल की पकोड़ी और कढ़ी (Moong Bean Dumplings in Moong Bean and Yogurt Gravy)
Moong Dal (Yellow Moong Bean) - 1.5 cups
Yogurt - 2 cups
Water - 3 cups
Turmeric Powder - 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp, you can also use chopped green chilies here
Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Heeng (Asafoetida) - 1 pinch
Methi (Fenugreek) Seeds - 1 tsp
Cilantro - 1 cup, finely chopped
Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) - 1 tbsp
Salt - per taste
Ghee - 1 tsbp
Oil - for deep frying
- Soak moong dal in water for about 2-3 hours and then grind to coarse paste with no water.
- Take about 1 cup of the ground paste and mix it with yogurt (till smooth) and water and keep aside.
- Mix finely chopped cilantro along with red chili (1 tsp), cumin (1 tsp), cilantro (1 tsp) and salt (per taste) to the rest of the moong dal paste.
- Deep fry this mixed batter made above (not the yogurt mix) into small lemon sized balls in hot oil an drain on a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, take a heavy bottomed pan and add ghee to it.
- Once ghee is hot, add heeng, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds to it.
- As they start spluttering, add the remaining spice powders to the oil itself (turmeric, red chili, cumin, coriander and amchur).
- Fry for about 15 seconds and pour in the yogurt mix to it.
- Boil this mixture while stirring frequently.
- Once it starts boiling, mix in salt, kasoori methi and fried pakodas (fritters) to it and let it boil in medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Add water if it becomes too thick.
- You will know it is done, when you will see the richness of it and nice aroma comes from it.
- The ingredients mentioned above will make enough kadhi for a family of 4-5 adults. So, adjust your quantity accordingly.
Serve it with hot rice or roti/paratha for a wonderful comfort meal.
That's all for now. Do check out what other BM bloggers are doing.