Monday, June 6, 2011

Mysore Pak (Gram Flour Fudge) - A Dessert from Karnataka

Hello Friends,


I am the biggest fan of this desert in the world (at least I think so). All my friends here know that when they go to Bangalore on their trip to India (who have families there), will have to bring this dessert back for me. I absolutely love it. I know, I know, no wonder I cannot rid of those double digit pounds that I am trying my best to loose.


I had about 7 different recipes of this delicacy bookmarked from different sources. Every recipe was slightly different. Here is what I ended up doing. This time, I did not roast besan (Gram Flour), next time I will try that and post another version of this delicacy.


In only took about 15 min. from start to finish, wasn't that quick :) I could make 24 pieces of the size you in pic with the ingredients mentioned here. It was totally worth the effort and melt in the mouth kind.


Mysore Pak (Gram Flour Fudge)
Ingredients
Besan (Gram Flour) - 1 cup, sieved well
Ghee - 2 cups (I have seen people using up to 2.5 cups of ghee, it will just give it more softer texture, so feel free to go for 2.5 cups)
Sugar - 2.5 cups (depending on your sweet tooth, you can go up to 3 cups)
Water - 3/4 cup
Preparation
  • Sieve besan well till there are no lumps (I kind of skipped and had teeny-tiny lumps in my end result).
  • Grease a square pan well and keep aside.
  • Heat water and sugar together in a heavy bottomed pan or preferably kadahi (wok).
  • Meanwhile, in another pot, heat ghee.
  • Let the sugar/water mixture come to boil and form 1 string syrup.
  • Slowly add besan to it, stirring continuously till all is mixed well without any lumps.
  • Now, slowly start adding spoonfuls of ghee from one hand to the besan mixture while stirring the mixture with other hand. At this point, if you another adult at home, please get help as stirring the mixture with one hand itself is a tiring task.
  • Keep repeating the above step, till all the ghee is exhausted.
  • Keep stirring the mixture, till ghee starts separating from the sides and you start seeing a slight change in the color (I felt like I could have gone 1-2 more min. on my color, but the taste was superb).
  • Switch off the stove and slowly pour this mixture in the greased pan.
  • Cut them into squares or diamonds, right away before it gets time to cool down.
  • Let it cool down before you indulge into it as otherwise, it will burn your throat :)

Serving
Eat it anytime you feel like. Don't forget that each piece easily has about 350-450 calories at least.

That's all for now. Take care till next post.

26 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

nice dessert deliciously done

Nithu said...

Mysore pak looks yummy. My favorite sweet.

KrithisKitchen said...

That is one delicious sweet.. all time star of sweets..
http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Event: Healing Foods - Banana

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Priya this looks fantastic. Made to perfection, normally besan is not roasted for Mysore pak and your recipe is precisely authentic.

Mélange said...

That's every one's fav Priya..Yours have come out perfect..lovely.

Deeksha said...

Looks perfect and delicious! will definitely try this recipe! thanks for sharing.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Virtual treat for me. And your gentle reminder of calories can't come in between me and these sweets ;-)

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Swathi said...

Delicious dessert, my favorite ones.

sonu said...

looks super delicious..mouthwatering MYSORE PAK ..had these many a times in bangalore b4..u have made it so beautifully !
btw small typo priya..its pak..and not park..i know even i make such so many silly mistakes :)

Lifewithspices said...

My all time fav sweet its so perfectly made..

Hari Chandana P said...

I love this recipe.. looks so tempting and perfect.. yummy :)
Indian Cuisine

chef and her kitchen said...

I just love this....melting soft mysore pa is really something I cant resist..looks yumm

Treat and Trick said...

Irresistible and yours turned out perfect!

Unknown said...

looks so perfect and awesome..this is something I always wanted to make..dont know when the days comes..

Indian Khana said...

Yum...looks so gud Priya

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Priya
Mysore pak is my all time favorite and cant stop eating it. I have tried so many times and I was never successful to the extent that 100% of the ghee came out at the end.
Your ratio of besan, sugar and ghee is slightly different than what I tried. I am tempted to make a go at it with your recipe, ( in the market , a good Mysore pak is very expensive so it is worth making at home)
It is summer time in Delhi and will try as soon as the monsoon sets in. I wish I have an air-Conditioned kitchen ha ha
Have a nice week

Priya Suresh said...

Am an addict to this fabulous fudge,but havent had or prepared since a long, feel like grabbing some..

Taste Melanger said...

Never tried this, but I'm sure its worth the effort..You surely have a great collection of recipes!!

garlutti said...

Hello .. is my third visit to your blog I keep for some time ... I love these recipes that do different .. from VIGO SPAIN invite you to share my recipes and blog ... good day and greetings MARIMI

My Kitchen Antics said...

i am literally drooling seeing this..shud try it sometime

Sravs said...

I love mysore park !! This looks so inviting and very tempting !!

Suja Manoj said...

Perfect and delicious.,looks fabulous.

Namitha said...

Mysore pak is all time fav of mine...looks great

swapna said...

Perfect mysore pak....tempting!!

Cooking Foodie said...

I wish you would parcel me some :-)
Its yummm... and i can have a few bites now...

Vegetarian Zest said...

Reminds me of my grandmom's recipe. Mysore pak looks delish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails