So, I had to pick one out of those 500+ recipes. A very tough choice, but I picked something real simple. Not because it was simple, but because I prepare the same recipe slightly differently and wanted to try it her way.
So, Singing Chef, thanks for such a wonderful blog with so many yummy recipes. Here is the original source of the recipe, Rava Payasam. Here is the recipe just with slightly different measurements as I tried them.
Sooji Ki Kheer - सूजी की खीर (Semonila Pudding)
Sooji (Semolina) - 1 cup
Milk - 4 cups
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 2.5 tbsps
Condensed Milk - 1 can
Ilaichi (Cardamon) Powder - 1/4 tsp
Saffron strands - a few
Kaju (Cashew) - 1 tbsp
Kishmish (Golden Raisins) - 1 tbsp
- Take a wide pan and add 2tbsp ghee and roast sooji in it till a nice aroma comes from it.
- Now add about 3 cups of water to it, mix well, cover and simmer (on your lowest setting) for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk and condensed milk to the cooked semolina and mix well
- Keep stirring till it starts boiling
- Then add the saffron and ilaichi powder and cook for few more minute
Serve it hot or cold as one prefers it. Remember that once it is cold, it will tend to thicken. So, always add some milk to it and warm or serve cold. Serve it as a dessert or even as a side dish to eat with poori/paratha. It is surely made as a offering for any festival.
Hope you will make and enjoy this kheer. This goes to Shama's - Kheer Festival.
So, till my next post, take care.