Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Panchmel Dal - पंचमेल दाल (Five Lentils Dal)

Hello Friends,


Wow, have I been lazy or what for last few days. I haven't been doing any real cooking as such. Monday night, I made veggie burgers with patties bought from COSTCO (my family favorite though, and real super yummy patties, I guess all my friends who are veggies love eating this one). Yesterday afternoon, made vegetable maggie (lol, a real quick one) and yesterday night, had rotis with some leftover curries (to finish them off and get over with).


Finally, today, made some super yummy dal, that goes with anything and is a super hit everytime I made it for a small gathering or a party. Thus, thought of sharing it with all of you. 


It is called "Panchmel Dal", though I usually only add 4 dals in it as I get little lazy in soaking the 5th dal as it takes some soaking to be done, before getting cooked. 


Panchmel Dal - पंचमेल दाल (Five Lentils Dal)
















Ingredients
For Main Dal
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup (washed and soaked for 10 min.)
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup (washed and soaked for 10 min.)
Masoor Dal - 1/4 cup (washed and soaked for 10 min.)
Chana Dal - 1/4 cup (washed and soaked for 10 min.)
Green Whole Moong Dal - 1/4 cup (washed and soaked for at least 8 hours)
Onion (Finely Chopped) - 1 cup
Tomatoes (Finely Chopped) - 1 cup
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt - Per taste
Oil - 1 tsp
For Tadka
Rai (Mustard Seeds) - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 2-3 finelly sliced
Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece crushed
Garlic - 5-6 cloves crushed
Ghee - 2 tsp
Cilantro - 1/2 cup finely chopped (for garnishing)
Preparation

  • Take a pan (I usually use cooked as then I can just cook my dal in the same one).
  • Add chopped onions and let them fry till translucent.
  • Add chopped tomatoes and cook them for 3 more min.
  • Add all dry masalas and fry for 2 min.
  • Add all dals and fry for 2 min.
  • Add enough water to cover dals and about one more inch above it.
  • Cook it till they are well done (I usually use my cooker for 12 min.)
  • Add water to give it desired consistency.
  • Add cilantro to the cooked dal and close the lid.
  • Now, take another pan, add ghee to it
  • Once ghee is hot, add rai and jeera in it
  • Once they splutter, add green chillies and ginger garlic and fry till nice aroma comes.
  • Take cooked dal in a serving bowl and add tadka on top of it.
  • Enjoy the dal !!!

Serving
Serve this rice with roti/paratha/nan or just plain steamed rice (my favorite).


I had written this post all well last night itself but my little one (5.5 month old) did not want me to post it, so I had to take care of it and post this morning.


Hope you all love it and try it.


This recipe is also an entry for Vegetable Marathon - Beans.







Till next post, take care,
Priya

13 comments:

R said...

thnx for sharing a nice and nutritious recipe.... i can get everyone to eat more lentils :))

Suma Gandlur said...

Love that healthy, nutritious mingling of dals. I will try this one.

Unknown said...

Thanks Rupali and Suma. Glad you liked it.

ruchikacooks said...

Nice Reipe Priya. Thanks for sharing. I literally lov rajastani food, esp gatte ki subzi..

I got your email. Thanks for sending the entries, they do qualify and I will classify it and post it when I do the round up. Cinnamon remedy is totally new to me, thanks!

Do you want me to include this website as well, if you post the same remedies on the page and link it to mine, it will be easy for the viewers to come to your blog too!

Ms.Chitchat said...

Delicious and healthy dal recipe. Never incorporated five dals in a dish. A welcome dish, sure to try soon.

Unknown said...

@Ruchika, I responded you in email.

@Ms.Chitchat, thanks. Hope you try and will like it :)

s said...

lovely blog....and this recipe is super so nutritious ....

Malar Gandhi said...

Combining 5 diff' dhalls sounds very healthy to me, looks great:)

Simply Life said...

Oh that looks delicious!

uma said...

Hi Priya,
am glad i found ur blog... rajasthani food is so rich.. my fav is rajasthani pickle.. interesting recipes papad sabzi, ghiya in til gravy..
Cheers,

Suparna said...

Tried this today and loved it
http://thespiceracks.blogspot.com/2011/05/rajasthani-panchmel-dal.html

Amit said...

Are the daals used in this recipe sabut or dhuli? (toor, moong, masoor)

Unknown said...

Amit, all dals used are dhuli (split ones) unless otherwise mentioned (in case of whole green moong).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails