I bought these commonly available Red Bettroots and Gold Beetroots (I never bought them before) with leaves. So, I was wondering what to do with those greens as I didn't want to waste them. And, didn't want to do stir-fry them. And, for a while, I had been craving for "Palak Paneer (Paneer in Spinach Gravy)". There was this excellent idea. I cut my greens and made a gravy out of it for paneer. The final curry had a subtle taste of beetroots, with a wonderful usual deliciousness of palak paneer :)
Paneer aur Chukandar Ki Pattiyon ki Sabzi - पनीर और चुकंदर की पत्तियों की सब्जी (Indian Cottage Cheese in Beetroot Greens' Gravy)
Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) - 1.5 cup, cubed (I usually prefer smaller cubes, easier for kids and all)
Beetroot Greens - 4 cups (or more per your liking, remember they will wilt down to hardly 2 cups)
Onion - 1 cup, finely sliced
Tomato - 1 cup, roughly chopped
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chili Powder) - 1 tsp
Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
- Finely chop your green and thoroughly wash them (I also used stems and did not throw them). Cube paneer and keep them aside.
- Take a pan and add onion to it. Fry till, it becomes translucent.
- Now, add all dry masala powders, greens and tomato and mix well.
- Let them cook till greens have wilted all the way down to more than half and cooked well (about 4-5 min.)
- Let the mixture cool slightly and then grind into a paste (beets usually cannot be ground into a fine paste like spinach).
- Heat a pan (I usually use the same pan used before, so that I don't lose any of the masalas stuck to that pan).
- Now, add the ground gravy and paneer both in the pan and cover them (covering is important, as the gravy immediately starts spitting out of the pan).
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes and all done (Wasn't that easy).
Serve it hot with roti/paratha/naan or even regular bread. Tastes delicious and no one can even tell the difference if it not palak paneer. After this experiment, now I have decided to use all my greens like this as this is the best use of them.
As I have used very little oil (just 1 tsp) for the entire curry and this is low calorie too, I am sending this to event Only Series - Low Oil/Low Calorie event guest hosted by me and started by Pari.
This goes to my own event of Healing Foods - Beetroot, started by Siri. Keep sending your entries for this event.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.