Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Anardana Aloo Dum - अनारदाना आलू दम (Potatos in Gravy - Low Oil Version)

Hello friends,


I learnt this special taste of adding anardana powder (Dry Pomegranate Seeds Powder) from a dear friend of mine "Sapna". Thanks Sapna. The original recipe demands shallow frying potatoes, but going with the theme of my event Only Series - Low Oil / Low Calorie event, which was started by Pari, I changed that step into just frying without oil.


That tanginess that you get from anardana powder, is just amazing. When I had tried it at a potluck at my friend Sapna's place (made by her), I just couldn't stop myself and kept eating the baby potatoes even after I was done with my dinner and one of my friend Rupali was teasing when I also took some leftovers for home, that there is a very slim chance that that packet would reach home safely and I may eat it all in the car itself. Believe me I was tempted, but I was full beyond words... lol :)


Anardana Aloo Dum - अनारदाना आलू दम (Potatos in Gravy - No Oil Version)




Ingredients
Baby Potatoes - 10 small ones (Baby potatoes are the best for this, but as I so wanted to make it and did not have them at home, I used Russet potatoes instead)
Onion - 1 large one, chopped roughly
Tomato - 2 medium ones, chopped roughly and pureed
Green Chilies - 2-3 (per your taste), chopped roughly
Ginger - 1 inch piece, chopped roughly
Rai (Mustard Seeds) - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp
Cilantro - 2 tbsps, chopped finely for garnishing
Dry Masalas
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - 1 tsp
Lal Mirch (Red Chili) Powder - 1 tsp
Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Powder - 1 tsp
Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) - 1/2 tsp
Anardana (Dry Pomegranate Seeds) Powder - 1 -2 tbsp, depending on how much you may like, I used 2 tbsps
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Preparation
  • Peel and chop potatoes in 2 inch cubes (if using any variety other than baby potatoes). If using baby potatoes, just peel and prick them well.
  • Take a non-stick pan (wide enough to accommodate all potatoes pieces in one layer), add 1 tsbp water and then add potatoes in one layer and cover and cook on slow flame till they are almost cooked (not mushy).
  • Now, remove the cover and fry them slightly over higher heat for 2-3 min. Don't mix too much using spatula otherwise (try shaking the pan or tossing the potatoes to flip them), they will be mushy.
  • Meanwhile, grind together onion, green chili and ginger together into a fine paste.
  • Now, take another non stick pan, add rai jeera (yes, no need to oil), let them splutter.
  • Add, onion paste to it and fry till it is well cooked (you will know when the raw smell of onions is gone).
  • Add all dry masalas (except garam masala) and fry for another 2 min.
  • Add tomato puree and fry till that is well cooked.
  • At this point, if you would like to have the curry dryer than usual gravy, just add 1/4 cup water along with potatoes and cover and cook for another 5 min on lower heat. But, if you like the gravy version, add 3/4 cup water along with potatoes and cover and cook for another 5 min on lower heat.
  • Once the potatoes are cooked in gravy add garam masala and mix well.
  • Garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
Serving
Serve them with naan, paratha or like I did some hot pooris. We all loved it :)




This is also a bookmarked version for me as I had this mentally bookmarked for a while from Sapna and I got a chance to try this out now. Thus, this post goes to my Bookmarked Recipes event.


Also, sending this to Two for Tuesday - Blog Hop 13.




That's all for now. Take care till post.

29 comments:

Bharathy said...

No oil version of aloo dum seems to be perfect and looks so yummy!! :)
Love aloo with anything!

Deepika said...

Like this a lot. Definitely will try.

aipi said...

Love aloo dum..this one sounds yum with less oil n anardana..very tempting!!

US Masala

hamaarethoughts.com said...

nice recipe...looks tempting!

hamaarethoughts.com said...

nice I will definitely try today itself..:)

Madhavi said...

Oh this is super delicious Aloo Dum recipe, looks greatttt!!

Ragini Miranda's Kitchen said...

Looks yummy !! Never tried with anardana ..will love to do so

Hayley said...

Priya
don't forget to send me some garma garam paratha with it too:)

Suja Manoj said...

Healthy and yummy recipe..looks so delicious and tempting.

Priya Suresh said...

Such a delicious aloo dum, looks yummy,even with less oil its looks wonderful..

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

No oil wow..let me give it a try !! Looks so good..

Sunitha said...

No oil and still looks so great..

Prema said...

love the low oil version dear,sure going to try it.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

No oil and looks so tempting ! Wow!

Niloufer Riyaz said...

Going to try out this delicious no oil aloo curry now

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

pass me thtwhole delicious n healthy bowl priya....looks tempting..love anardana in gravies...i even munch on some with saunf after every meal...love tht tanginess....

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely curry delicious

Elaichii said...

Love this healthy version!

www.elaichii.blogspot.com

Satya said...

love aloo dum n my hubby too ...n ur low oil version is amazing ...thanks for sharing

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

sonu said...

hey priya thts amazing yaar..u made dum aaloo without any single drop of oil..hats off ! it is looking yummy !

Tanvi said...

Glad that I found your blog! A big big fan of rajasthani food..and these aloo look yummy!
Sinfully Spicy

Indrani said...

me and my hubby are huge fan of aloo dum,(as we're bengali), so i collect all sorts of aloo dum recipe, will try your recipe..sounds interesting

Nitha said...

Love the no oil version...

Hunger and Thirst said...

I could eat potatoes a million ways, thanks for showing me a new one at Two for Tuesday.

a moderate life said...

Priya, I adore potatoes too, but these dried pomagranate seeds I will have to try! Thanks so much for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

WOW oilless gravy looks very delicious and could not tell its oilfree,looks very yummy!

Heather S-G said...

I love all the awesome flavors in your gravy...I bet the potatoes just soak them all up so nicely. Delicious =) Thanks for sharing it w/ t4t this week!

Unknown said...

Oh, this looks great! Do I need a non-stick pan if I'm not using oil? I'm a little worried about burning my regular steel pan.

Christy said...

I am impressed you didn't finish this off in the car on the way home - the flavors sound irresistible! Thanks for linking to Two for Tues!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails