Friday, September 10, 2010

Thai Sticky Rice with Mango

Hello friends,


Eid Mubarak to all my blogger friends and readers.


This is hands-down my favorite Thai dessert. I always wanted to try it out. The other day, I had kept some mango chopped in  a bowl to eat just like that and N comes and says, hey, why not make sticky rice with mango. I am like ok, yes, why not?


If any of you have tried it before, will surely agree that this is one lip-smacking, mouth watering dessert and usually when we go to Thai restaurant, we fight upon who will eat it first and fast and more :)


So, without further delay, here is the super yummy recipe. My rice became little runny, never-the-less, tasted great. Please keep an eye on how much water you add. Cook the rice per package's instructions.


Thai Sticky Rice with Mango




Ingredients
Thai Sticky Rice - 1 cup (you will get it in any Oriental shops)
Unsweetened Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup (increase or decrease based on how sweet you would like your rice to be)
Sesame Seeds - 1 tbsp
Ripe Mango - 2, finely sliced or chopped.
Preparation

  • Cook rice per package's instructions and keep it aside.
  • Lightly dry roast sesame seeds and keep them aside.
  • Chop or slice mangoes to desired shape and keep them aside.
  • Now, take a heavy bottomed pan and add coconut milk to it
  • Let it simmer mixing continuously on low heat. You don't want to heat it at high flame otherwise the milk will curdle.
  • Once the coconut milk has got one boil, add sugar to it and let it melt all.
  • Now, add 3/4 of this coconut milk mix into the rice bowl/pot and let the rice sit and absorb all the milk. Don't let the mix cool down all the way.
  • Now, take one portion of this absorbed rice in a serving plate (yes, plate is better than a bowl), sprinkle it with little of the coconut milk mix kept aside, sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds and then top it with sliced/chopped mango (some people like mango on top some like it on the side, so go with your liking).

Serving
Serve it as a perfect ending to any meal (not just Thai). This dessert is served hot or else the sticky rice will become too hard due to all the extra starch it has.


I am sending this to Akheela's Festive Rice event.





Also, linking it to Vegetarian Foodie Fridays # 17.






That's all for now. Take care till next post.

26 comments:

Elaichii said...

What a creamy yummy dish!

www.elaichii.blogspot.com

aipi said...

very very interesting concept ..heard a lot about it..Thanks for reminding me..will definitely try it out :)

US Masala

Satya said...

Thai rice looks delicious n creamy priya ...very new to me ..thanks for sharing dear

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

New dish to me..Looks so creamy and delicious!

Nivedita Thadani said...

Wow,
Great recipe with mangoes!
But where will I get mangoes now!

Namitha said...

Yummo....can't take my eyes off from the mango slices

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Wow your still able to get mangoes there :-) Good to see a new recipe with my fav mango

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Aparna S Mallya said...

Creamy dish with delicious mango on top!

Ragini Miranda's Kitchen said...

The pic is sooo pretty and mouthwatering !! great recipe dear !!

Panchpakwan said...

Looks so creamy and yuumy..

Hayley said...

Yummy Yummy...so creamy !

Priya Suresh said...

Woww my favourite thai dish, had it long back..irresistible rice with mango..mouthwatering here..

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

That so creamy and delicious. I a big Thai cuisine lover but never had this. I think I should start trying other than my usual stuff. Will try this out Priya !!

Krishnaveni said...

inviting recipe, looks yum

Sangi said...

Wow.. that looks so rich and creamy... I love sticky rice.. sure to try your sticky rice dessert..

Madhavi said...

Hey wow sticky rice looks mouth watering!!

Torviewtoronto said...

thank you for eid wishes and sending this delicious rice

sonu said...

wow ! this looks mind blowing priya..we have been so many times for thai food but never saw/heard abt this dessert..this time im surely gonna try ..mangoes just started coming here..bookmarked !

Sanchita said...

Wow! sounds very rich and creamy dish. Will try out soon. Thanks for sharing :)

Sweet Artichoke said...

Yumm! I love thai desserts! This rice looks yummy :-)

Simplyfood said...

Rice looks wonderful and tasty.It has such a creamy texture.

Prema said...

delicious rice priya,luks awesome.

nandini said...

My most favourite among the Thai desserts. Looks so creamy and the toasted coconuts looks so inviting...

Melodie said...

That looks delicious. My friend once made a dish like that for me and it was excellent. Thank you for showing me how to make it. :) Thanks to you for linking to Vegetarian Foodie Fridays too! :)

Rajee Mani said...

That's a creamy delight. Whenever I eat this, I am reminded of the South Indian dish sakkara pongal :-)

suma said...

This one is new to me Priya!! Looks as yumm as you promise it to be. My kids used to fight over who got to ate the chinese dessert honey datsun with ice cream,till I started to making it at home:-)). Bookmarked recipe for the next mango season!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails