When I saw the recipe Ria selected for Savory September, I was very very happy because, I always saw these mini things at potlucks etc., but never could taste due to strong smell of egg. Now, I had the recipe (of course with an egg), but tried it without one and it came out really beautiful and golden like the name says.
Golden Onion/Cottage Cheese/Spinach Quiche
Ingredients & Preparation
For the pastry:
Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 2 cups
Butter (frozen) - 1 cup (preferably unsalted)
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Ice cold water-as required ( which will be a few drops)
- Sieve maida ,salt and baking powder together. Grate in the butter and mix it with the flour with your fingertips till it resembles coarse sand.
- Gather it into a soft dough.
- Roll it out on a lightly floured surface and lift it up carefully and line the tin that you will be baking it in.If it breaks up and you need to do a patch work, big deal! It wouldn't be seen outside! ;)
- Which ever tin you are using, make sure the dough comes a little way up the sides, so that it can hold the filling in.
- If you are in doubt, see this.
Paneer (Cottage Cheese) - 1/2 c
Onion- 1.5 cups, chopped
Spinach - 1.5 cups, chopped
Milk - 1 cup
Cheese - 1 cup (I used Mexican 3-cheese blend)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil- as needed.
- Heat oil and slightly fry the paneer till it is golden brown. Add in the onions and spinach and fry till onions have caramelised. Add slight salt and pepper per taste.
- Switch off the flame.
- Mix milk and cheese and mix well.
- Now, pour the veggie mixture in the tin with the pastry lining.
- Now, pour the milk-cheese mix over the veggie mix and bake @ 350 degree F for 30 mins or till golden brown .
Let it cool in the tin completely . Serve it in wedges.
My family simply loved it and even though it is supposed to be an appetizer, we had it for dinner few minutes ago and we finished it all :)
That's all for now. Take care till next post.