Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Golden Onion/Cottage Cheese/Spinach Quiche - Savory September for Sweet Punch

Hello friends,


When I saw the recipe Ria selected for Savory September, I was very very happy because, I always saw these mini things at potlucks etc., but never could taste due to strong smell of egg. Now, I had the recipe (of course with an egg), but tried it without one and it came out really beautiful and golden like the name says.



Golden Onion/Cottage Cheese/Spinach Quiche


Ingredients & Preparation
For the pastry:
Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 2 cups
Butter (frozen) - 1 cup (preferably unsalted)
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Ice cold water-as required ( which will be a few drops)
  • Sieve maida ,salt and baking powder together. Grate in the butter and mix it with the flour with your fingertips till it resembles coarse sand.
  • Gather it into a soft dough.
  • Roll it out on a lightly floured surface and lift it up carefully and line the tin that you will be baking it in.If it breaks up and you need to do a patch work, big deal! It wouldn't be seen outside! ;)
  • Which ever tin you are using, make sure the dough comes a little way up the sides, so that it can hold the filling in. 
  • If you are in doubt, see this.
Filling:
Paneer (Cottage Cheese) - 1/2 c
Onion- 1.5 cups, chopped
Spinach - 1.5 cups, chopped
Milk - 1 cup
Cheese - 1 cup (I used Mexican 3-cheese blend)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil- as needed.
  • Heat oil and slightly fry the paneer till it is golden brown. Add in the onions and spinach and fry till onions have caramelised. Add slight salt and pepper per taste.
  • Switch off the flame. 
  • Mix milk and cheese and mix well.
  • Now, pour the veggie mixture in the tin with the pastry lining.
  • Now, pour the milk-cheese mix over the veggie mix and bake @ 350 degree F for 30 mins or till golden brown .
Serving
Let it cool in the tin completely . Serve it in wedges.

My family simply loved it and even though it is supposed to be an appetizer, we had it for dinner few minutes ago and we finished it all :)

That's all for now. Take care till next post.

45 comments:

Sushma Mallya said...

nice recipe priya, it looks so delicious...

Elaichii said...

That's one scrumptious dinner you'v e put together!

www.elaichii.blogspot.com

Satya said...

wow priya quiche looks delicious ...love the eggless version ...tring to make from long ..thankq for sharing dear

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

amna said...

spinach is a lovely idea as an addition!

aipi said...

That looks very nice..i too like my quiche eggless and love savory baked goodies..fab recipe ..love the gorgeous color of the crust on top ..very tempting..this goes to my to do list :))

US Masala

Seema said...

Priya, I agree with Nags. Adding spinach was a great idea and your quiche has come out with a tempting golden colour... Great!

suma said...

Wow Priya! I am feeling so envious of you all who baked this quiche:-(. Good to see a quiche without eggs and its looks so yummy and cheesy... I gotta try this sometime.

Prema said...

love this quiche, luks delicious...

Nithu said...

Looks wonderful and tempting.

veena said...

looks perfect. Love this variation

Rumana Rawat said...

Hello Priya... this looks very interesting to me, will try soon:)

Umm Mymoonah said...

Mouthwatering quiche, looks really good.

Indrani said...

ummmmmmmm..mouth watering, priya

Urmi said...

Wonderful recipe.Spinach quiche looks so delicious and tempting that I cannot resist myself.
Thanks for telling me about okra event. I would appreciate if you can tell me how I can participate as I am not able to find it in your blog so please guide me.

Santosh Bangar said...

looking nice and healthy recipe

sonu said...

wow..an eggless version..gr8 priya..wud luv to try them !

Unknown said...

WOW!! This looks amazing!! Great recipe..

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious looking quiche, very tempting..

subhashini said...

looks yummy, delicious and mouthwatering.

Jaisy James said...

wow looks delicious never tried this before thanks for sahring dear

Torviewtoronto said...

Flavourful quiche

Akanksha said...

looks so yummy..wondering if I could mske some..bookmarked!

Sweet Artichoke said...

Your quiche looks delicious! Great idea to add paneer! the melted cheese on top is irresistible :-D

Hamaree Rasoi said...

I like the upper crust of your eggless quiche. Looks tempting
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks yum...

Anonymous said...

Slurrrrppppp!
I love spinach and cheese together...they marry very well, dont they? :)
Your quiche looks so inviting...Im so tempted to make some for myself right away! Bookmarking it to try soon :)

nandini said...

I would love to bite into that quiche right now... Caramalized onion sounds so tempting....

My Kitchen Antics said...

Im such a huge fan of quiche..this one looks delicious

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

looks inviting n mouthwatering....drooooolworthy pics too dear...

Namitha said...

Awesome..love quiche...

Krishnaveni said...

looks so good, yummyyyyyyyyy

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

OH dear eggless quiche recipe,Bookmarked to try..

Anu Nandu said...

That looks real good - I can already imagine the taste in my mouth with spinach and the base! Gorgeous!

FewMinute Wonders said...

Hi Priya,

thanks for stopping by my blog. Regarding the bournvita fudge, I had about 2 cups of syrup made from bournivta that was solidified. The amount that was solodified I thought was close to 2 cups. It was as big as a cricket ball I thought. So i mixed very little hot water and made it melt into a thick syrup.Then I made the fudge. I hope that helped answer your ?

Sangi said...

that looks really yummy and its hard to believe that there is no egg in your quiche.. :)

Padma said...

Nice quiche. Looks delicious. WIll come to catch up with other posts.

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

Lovely and delicious looking quiche !!! Spinach and paneer filling YUMM YUMM !!

Uma said...

looks so delicious. tempting click.

Sanjeeta kk said...

creamy, crisp and delicious Quiche'

PranisKitchen said...

really delicious one.. looks so good

Gouri Guha said...

This is my first visit here. A nice space with nice recipes.The quiche looks so very inviting.

Preeti Kashyap said...

paneer seems to be a good filling along with cheese...yummy!

Simplyfood said...

The quiche looks really tasty and wonderful.I love the paneer and spinach combination.

Ragini Miranda's Kitchen said...

looks sooo delicious !!

NG said...

Thanks for sharing...
i made it for dinner in a muffin pan...
turned out awesome :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails