Here is one of the recipes that I learnt from a Kannada friend of mine. I had eaten it at her place few years ago (about 6 to be exact) and recently requested her for the recipe. It is the most refreshing and spicy rice, if you like the mint and spice together. Thanks Nagu for this delicious recipe, we all enjoyed it :)
Coriander and Mint Spicy Rice - धनिया और पुदीना के मसाले वाले चावलIngredients
Basmati Rice - 2 cups, washed and drained (you can use any kind of rice)
Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup, I used a mix of peas, carrots, corn, beans and edamame. You can use any combination based on your choice.
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Sugar(optional) - 1 tsp
Cliantro - 2 bunches
Mint Leaves - 2 cups, tightly packed
Green Chillies - 5 or adjust depending on your spice level
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 4 big cloves
Cumin Seed - 1 tsp
Green Cardamom - 3 to 4, lightly crushed
Cloves - 3 to 4
Cinnamon stick - 3 pieces
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cashews - 1/4 cup
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1 tbsp
- Grind all the ingredients under "To Grind" with very little water & keep it aside
- On a non stick pan heat oil and put the tempering ingredients till cumin seeds start spluttering
- Add ground paste and washed basamati rice
- Transfer it to rice cooker or cook in the same pan till it is well cooked
- Meanwhile take a small non-stick pan and fry cashews to golden brown in ghee.
- Garnish the cooked rice with fried cashews
Serve it with some kind of raita or yogurt based gravy. We enjoyed it with Cucumber and Onion Raita.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.