Thursday, April 14, 2011

Aloo Posto - आलू पोस्तो (Potato in Poppy Seeds Gravy)

Hello Friends,


First of all HAPPY HINDU NEW YEAR to everyone who is celebrating today :)


Today, I am here with a wonderful lunch combo that I have had as a kid growing up. It was a treat for us when mom would prepare Masala Masoor Dal, Tomatoes & Dates Chutney and Aloo Posto (this recipe) with warm rice. It couldn't get better than that.


Aloo Posto - आलू पोस्तो (Potato in Poppy Seeds Gravy)
Ingredients
Aloo (Potato) - 2 cups, thinly sliced like fresh fries (I like this, but go with your preferred shape).
Onion - 1 cup, thinly sliced
Posto (Poppy Seeds) - 3/4 cup
Panch Phoran (Five Seed Mix) - 1 tsp, (you will get this easily at any Indian store)
Tej Patta (Dry Bay Leaf) - 1 or 2, depending on the size of the leaf
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Dry Red Whole Chilies - 3-4, adjust on your taste buds
Salt - as per taste
Mustard Oil - 1tbsp
Preparation
  • Take a wide pan and heat mustard oil in it till it starts smoking
  • Add panch phoran and tej patta and let them splutter
  • Add potato and onion slices and fry them till potato pieces along with turmeric and salt and close the lid (on medium heat).
  • Meanwhile, dry grind poppy seeds and dry red chilies to an almost fine powder. Some people also prefer to soak poppy seeds in warm water for few hours or minutes, but I prefer this method of dry grinding as my mom taught me, lol
  • Now, add water to the dry powder (in the blender itself) and make into a paste
  • Once potato is cooked in the pan, let them fry a bit without the lid on.
  • Add this mixture along with 1 cup water and let it cook with potato for about 4-5 minutes or till raw smell is gone.
  • Remember that due to poppy-seeds paste, the curry will start sticking to the bottom of the pan, so be careful not to burn the gravy :)
Serving
Serve it as I mentioned above with warm rice or even nice rotis. It tastes equally good :)


This along with the following are my entries for my Flavors of Bengal event which I am guest hosting and which was started by Nayna.
Masala Masoor Dal
Tomatoes & Dates Chutney
I am also send this recipe to Simple Lives Thursday, 39th Edition event of Diana
That's all for now. Take care till next post.

22 comments:

Simplyfood said...

Aloo posto sounds wonderful and my mouth is watering. Great entries.

Archana said...

Lovely recipe. Must try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Prathima Rao said...

Aloo posto is my favv!!!
Prathima rao
Prats Corner

R said...

yum priya, all the dishes look so tempting, luv the color on the tomato dates chutney :)

Priya Suresh said...

Wat an authentic bengali dish,simply irresistible..

Madhavi said...

Very nice recipe..and aloo posto looks so gooooood..super entries for the event priya...drooling!!!

aipi said...

Delicious- Can I come over :)
Alu posto is my fav but hubby is allergis to posto- so haven't had it since like in ages and your pics are tempting me a lot ..

US Masala

Unknown said...

Delicous curry.never used poppy seeds in potato.will try it soon.

Richa said...

this is a new one... looks great!
the tomato dates chutney is also on my todo list now!

Peggy said...

this looks delicious!

Shobha said...

Lovely aloo posto..I had eaten it long back in a Bengali friend's house.
Tomato and dates chutney looks awesome..will try it out soon.

sonu said...

anything with posto is fine ..specially luv this combo of posto and aloo very much..looks super delicious !

Indrani said...

Aloo Posto looks divine, u know this is one of my favorite food in earth with any kind of dal..I will definitely participate in your event, flavours of Bengal

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Sounds and looks yummy....

Sweet Artichoke said...

ohoho, my absolutely favourite bengali dish!

Preeti Kashyap said...

Never tried this one!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow totally different dish..love it..sure will give it a shot.

Raji said...

This is a tasty dish..so nice gravy.

Suma Gandlur said...

All are lovely entries, Priya.

Pushpa said...

Looking delicious...

Unknown said...

Posto reminds me of my days in New Delhi working with a bunch of bengs in the First City magazine - That was usually the only dish I, as the only veggie in the group, could eat -
Thanks for the lovely presentation and the memories brought back :)

Fairy Garden said...

More than an year yet the post is really new for me. Bookmarked.


Visit my recipe Banana Lassi - BHW17 during your leisure time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails