Friday, October 28, 2011

Nariyal aur Kaju ki Aloo Sabzi (Coconut Potato Curry with Cashews)

Hello Friends,


In my search for making something special for my Veggie/Fruit A Month - Coconut event, I search through my blogger friends' blogs as I wanted to try something different than usual coconut recipes. When I came across this, I thought I hit a jackpot. It was a nice and mild curry, fit for a potluck, which is where it was first presented and I was really happy with the results.


I grabbed this from my fellow blogger Meeta's blog What's For Lunch Honey? I don't think she even needs an introduction. Go check out her blog !!! :)


This is a wonderful curry for people who cannot or do not eat onion/garlic as this has none. And the nice, rich creamy texture blows your mind off with that amazing taste of coconut milk. If you are a fan of potato and coconut milk, this is your curry.


Now, without further ado, here is the recipe


Nariyal aur Kaju ki Aloo Sabzi (Coconut Potato Curry with Cashews)
Ingredients

Potatoes - 7-8 russet potatoes (I made it for a party so so many, but for a family of 4, 3 potatoes should be enough), peal, cube and steam them for 10-15 min. Feel free to use baby potatoes as well.
Coconut Milk - 2 cups
Cashews - 1/2 cup, soaked for 10-15 minutes and then chop them
Tomato Paste  - 1/4 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1-2 tsps, depending on your preference
Coriander Powder  - 1-2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsps
Salt - as per taste
Coriander - for garnishing

Preparation

  • Heat a non-stick pan and add oil to it.
  • Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
  • Add cashews to it and roast them till golden color comes.
  • Add steamed potato cubes and coat them well with oil and cumin/cashew.
  • Add 1 cup of water mixed with tomato paste and mix it well to coat potato with it.
  • Simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
  • Add all the spice powders and let it cook again for about 3 minutes.
  • Now, add coconut milk and let it simmer till gravy thickens.
  • Take it off the heat and garnish with cilantro.

Serving
We enjoyed them with naans and rice. It was a mild curry when made with this recipe. But, feel free to up the heat level as you need.


If you haven't sent out your entries for this event, please hurry.



That's all for now. Take care till next post.

28 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Woww wat a fabulous looking sabzi,would love with some rotis..

Sudha said...

Priya,this a unique combo I must say-potato,coconut and cashews!!Your curry looks delicious:)I would have chipped in had I got a good recipe,but don't think I have one at hand:(neways,happy hosting dear!

Nandita SS said...

God this curry looks so delicious and rich. I can only imagine how it would have tasted. Great recipe Priya :)

Suja Manoj said...

Flavorful and delicious curry,perfect with rotis..

Julie said...

Delicious n yummy gravy... Lovely!!

R said...

wow simply loving all the flavors that went into that curry! yummo!

Amina Creations said...

wow... the curry looks awesome.... that too without onions and garlic... delicious..

Shri said...

Sounds perfect like our South Indian Kurma!

Unknown said...

yummy...good one for chapathi and rotis!

turmericnspice said...

The curry looks exotic ..... All u need is some naan

Kalyani said...

curry looks delicious and an interesting recipe ..........

Uma said...

Looks so delicious.
Uma@Trendy Relish

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Yummy and delicious curry...love the flavors in it

sangeeta said...

Loved it. I make a paneer with slightly diffrent mix of coconut milk n cashew paste...this spicy curry looks great.

Sangeetha M said...

aloo sabzi looks so creamy n rich...love all the flavors in it..wonderful recipe dear !!

Neha said...

Lovely looking curry.....Looks very tempting...

Vatsala. said...

New to me and sounds delicious.

Kiran said...

Potato in cashew coconut sauce looks very delicious.

Sudha said...

Hi Priya,
I have passed on the Versatile Blogger Award to your blog!Congratulations and please visit my blog to find out more about this!
http://witwokandwisdom.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html
Cheers:)

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy looking flavours
happy hosting the event

Raks said...

This recipe sounds really good, i wish I have this roti now :) Should be great with mild pulavs too

divya said...

Absolute delicious.....
yummyyyyy!!

themustardseed said...

Absolutely delicious sabzi! The coconut and cashews together must be tasting divine!!

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks superb, love the coconut and cashew combo.

aipi said...

I think I should bookmark it as I am 100% sure hubs is going to LOVE this curry. It looks so superb and delicious :)
USMasala

Raji said...

Wonderful subzi..it must have surely pleased your friends. Delicious combo.

Pushpa said...

Delicious flavorful potato curry.

Sanctified Spaces said...

Not heard of potato and coconut combination before. Nice side dish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails