Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hosting Veggie/Fruit A Month - Coconut Event

Hello friends,

I apologize for delay in announcing this event for this month. I could not get in touch with my blogger friend who was hosting this event, so I waited and waited and now ready to host it after a long time.


And, boy, am I glad to host it and have this event make a "home coming" :) And what a coincident that I had hosted it in October 2010 as well as a friend who was hosting then had requested me to.

This month for Veggie/Fruit a Month event, the STAR ingredient is COCONUT. In Indian and many other tropical cuisines coconut is an integral part of their day-to-day cooking. But, there are cuisines, which hardly or never use coconut at all. It will be fun to see all different sides of this tropical fruit.

Found across much of the tropics, the coconut is known for its great versatility as seen in the many domestic, commercial, and industrial uses of its different parts. Every single part of coconut tree and coconut itself is used in some or other other way. Some for cooking, some for medicines and some for making things like brooms etc.


Here are some nutritional values from Wikipedia.



Coconut, meat, raw
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy1,481 kJ (354 kcal)
Carbohydrates15.23 g
Sugars6.23 g
Dietary fiber9.0 g
Fat33.49 g
saturated29.70 g
monounsaturated1.43 g
polyunsaturated0.37 g
Protein3.3 g
Thiamine (vit. B1)0.066 mg (6%)
Riboflavin (vit. B2)0.02 mg (2%)
Niacin (vit. B3)0.54 mg (4%)
Pantothenic acid (B5)0.300 mg (6%)
Vitamin B60.054 mg (4%)
Folate (vit. B9)26 μg (7%)
Vitamin C3.3 mg (4%)
Calcium14 mg (1%)
Iron2.43 mg (19%)
Magnesium32 mg (9%)
Phosphorus113 mg (16%)
Potassium356 mg (8%)
Zinc1.1 mg (12%)


Sorry, not a very creative logo, but this is the best I could do.
(Coconuts in logo is credited to Google Search).

There are few rules of this event:
  • You can use Coconut raw, tender, cooked, toasted, dry or baked. You can use coconut milk or oil or a combo of many from above. But, the only thing is that COCONUT has to be the STAR of the recipe. Get Creative !!!
  • It can be any course of the meal (appetizer/main course/side dish/dessert/beverage or breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack).
  • Recipe has to be strict vegetarian (eggs are allowed ONLY in baking). This is simply to re-enforce the fact that we can eat veggies without any meat and also for all our vegetarian friends, who do not eat meat.
  • You HAVE to make new recipes and old archived posts are not allowed. This is just so that we try and make new fresh recipes :)
  • Please send in your entries before end of October 31st 2011.
  • If you are a blogger, you can simply send your Name and URL of your recipe at priya DOT mitharwal AT gmail DOT com with the subject of "Veggie/Fruit A Month - Coconut".
  • Non bloggers can email me your name, recipe and picture at priya DOT mitharwal AT gmail DOT com with the subject of "Veggie/Fruit A Month - Coconut".
  • Link your post to this event.
  • Always try to buy and use locally grown veggie and fruits :)
If anyone is interested in hosting it for any of the future months, please feel free to email me or leave a comment here. Here is the future hosting schedule.


So, what are you waiting for. Put on you culinary caps and start cooking a storm.

That's all for now, take care till next post.

32 comments:

Deepthi KR said...

wow that is a lovely event..i'll post one of my fav coconut recipe that i am making for this dussera soon!happy hostin priya!

Unknown said...

Happy Hosting. I'll try to send in my recipes.

Cheers,
Uma
My Kitchen Experiments

Hasna said...

wow...thats so luvly... u can surely count me in....

Unknown said...

happy hosting!..will surely try to post some new coconut recipes in the meanwhile!....I would love to host, but I see that the next opening is Oct 2012....if in between you loose a host, let me know and i will be happy to do it!...
thanks

Madhavi said...

Great, count me in..

Amila said...

wow!! This is great...I am happy to participate to this event too....

Kalyani said...

nice and healthy event .. will try to participate ....

Unknown said...

this one will be an easy one for me to participate in since I use coconuts a lot :) Will surely try to send some entries, Priya!

Urmi said...

Lovely event. Thanks for sharing.

MyKitchen Flavors-BonAppetit!. said...

Luv to participate in this event dear.Sorry to have missed the previous one.

Kanchan said...

will try to participate in this event atleast now .. hope i prepare something coconut soon :)

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Will surely send mine.

Suja Manoj said...

Lovely event dear,happy hosting

Deeksha said...

Happy hosting. Will try to participate.

Treat and Trick said...

That is a regular item used in our cooking. Happy hosting dear!

Pradnya said...

I would love to participate in this event. Can we use dry coconut or tender coconut?

Daisy Roshan said...

hi priya..i have sent a recipe...
Happy Hosting..

cheers

saffronstreaks said...

what a coincidence Priya, I am too hosting healing foods on coconut theme..

count me in

Unknown said...

sure put me down for OCT 2012 for now!....:)

R said...

nice event, i sent my recipe just now :)

Raks said...

will try to send an entry,happy hosting

Nandinis food said...

Great event...It stirs up an interest towards coconut.

Sobha Shyam said...

nice event dear, will try to send my recipes..

Unknown said...

Dear Priya...thnks for asking...this week weather is better so now and then I am better but so caching up all my pending work at home. Now my hubby is sick too....so me getting bk on tract will delay bit more but sure to post all the round ups by then.....:)

hv a nice weekend!

Unknown said...

Nice event will send in some recipes.

Sanjeeta kk said...

Happy hosting and lovely selection!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

sounds very interesting priya...happy hosting..:P
Tasty Appetite

Shireen said...

This is my fav department :) since i love coconuts in any form. Will whip up something since it has to be only new recipes & send u my entry shortly :) happy hosting Priya!!

R said...

sent another entry just now :)

Amila said...

have sent 3 entries upto now...(have another dish,haven't posted yet,will send before the closing date)

Archana said...

Wlls end one Goan recipe. In fact on seeing that eggs allowed for baking I am off to make it. Last minute entry:) Sorry.
I am hosting a new event which I am calling Back to our Roots. Do check out my event and send me your entries from 15/10/11 to 30/11/11.

Culinary Vibes said...

Hi.. just mailed you my recipe.. :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails