Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Microwave Easy Cooking - Plain Rice

Hello Friends,


I want to thank Srivalli for even starting an event like MEC and letting me host MEC - Rice, because all I used to use my microwave was to heat up stuff and period, nothing more.


If you haven't already send your entries, then hurry up and send as the event ends on 31st march 2011.
But, because of her, I have started to at least think about various other options. This is one recipe which a friend of mine taught me when I was living a married but single life in Pittsburgh and I was surprised when she made rice this way.


Microwave Easy Cooking - Plain Rice
Ingredients
Rice - 1 cup, I used Sona Masoori type
Water - 2 cups (Varies depending on which brand or variety of rice you are using, so change this accordingly)
Preparation

  • Wash rice properly.
  • Add water and rice in a microwave safe bowl, double the size of the quantity of rice you are adding. Remember water will boil and rice will puff up, so it needs all that extra space.
  • Keep the lid on the bowl, but not tighly as it needs to let out the steam.
  • Cook it on high for 15-20 minutes, depending on your rice variety and how well you want it to be done. For my microwave, about 17 min. is the time.
  • Let the bowl cool down a little (about 3-5 min.) before handling it and slowly puff the rice with fork, if you want the grains intact.
  • Wasn't that easy? :)

Serving
Serve it with any gravy or dry curry or dal or podi/oil or chutney or practically anything you eat rice with... lol


That's all for now. Take care till next post.

10 comments:

Rani acharyulu said...

Rice looks like white pearls.I love microwave cooked rice.Nice post.

Shobha said...

Nice event Priya..you are right, we should start using microwave to make more things rather than just warming the food.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Very useful post...Thanks for sharing...

Priya Suresh said...

Sometime i too cook my rice in MW, useful post for many of us..

Neetu's kitchen said...

rice looks fantastic...very nice..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very useful post dear. Looks wonderful.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Simplyfood said...

Simple and easy and it works well with a handful of veggies nad some spice to make quick one pot veggie rice.

Indian Khana said...

It is easy dear...I never tried making in MV ..should try now ...:)

Unknown said...

Quick and easy preparation of rice.BTW, have my blog with the mystery ingredient post for "Maitri".Plz check it out.

Unknown said...

Not much of a microwave user either except to warm up or thaw some foods - Rice has turned out well.
Also please check my blog for an exclusive award dear :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails