Sunday, March 27, 2011

Masala Akki Roti from the mystery ingredient - "MAITRI" - a friendship chain

Hello Friends,
I am sure many of you have already read or heard about MAITRI. If not, please do follow the link and read all about it. We are waiting for more and more participation from all our US and Canada bloggers. Guys, it is not restricted to "Indian" origin bloggers, so would love to have participation from all over the place :)

In case of any query, please contact me at priya.mitharwal@gmail.com or Reshmi at reshrite@gmail.com.

Now, the theatrics of the mystery ingredient I received. I receive an email from Reshmi saying if I received my ingredient as she got a delivery confirmation. I rushed to mail box, (see, here I am not good at checking my mailbox every day, so the reminder from her) and guess what, there was a packet waiting for me. Unfortunately, I did not take pic of the packet itself, but, none-the-less, I surely took the pics of contents which is what matters more :)
Check out the beautiful drawings she made and her super cute smiley spatula that she sent me. I love it. Actually, my 18 month old loved it more than I did, lol :)

It took me a while to identify the ingredient, as I never went for obvious, based on the color, I firsr said, Ragi and what not, but finally, after few hints from Reshmi, I got it to be "Red Rice Flour".

Now, the recipe. I had never cooked with red rice flour before and even in general with rice flour. Plus, I wanted to try something that I had not done before, something new. Of course, where do I check but my bookmarked list and saw this bookmarked waiting for me to be made. 

I made the very famous Karnataka special, Akki Roti from my blogger friend Prathibha's blog. I have made it slightly my way, but do check her recipe for her twist of adding grated veggies :)

Red Rice Akki Roti (Rice Flour Flat Bread)
Ingredients
Red Rice Flour - 2 cups
Onions - 1 cup, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi - 1 tsp, crushed
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Warm water - to mix the dough
Preparation
  • Mix all dry ingredients first.
  • Add warm water little by little and make into a smooth dough. It won't be as smooth as regular wheat flour dough, but it will form into a nice ball.
  • Grease a thick magazine cover (you know those shiny ones, which can withstand heat and are not as thin as paper). You can use thick plastic as well, but there is always a chance to burn it when placing it on griddle.
  • Pinch an orange sized ball from the dough and place it on the plastic sheet and spread it into a roti shape with your hands. Grease your fingers as well. It will be easy to do the job.
  • Heat the griddle (not too hot) and slowly invert the paper with roti and slowly separate the roti from the paper.
  • Add little oil and cook on both sides till you start seeing brown spots.
  • Make all the dough in this way. I could make 4 big rotis from these ingredients listed above.
Serving
Serve them warm with a dollop of butter and my green chili pickle and gongura chutney.

For a running roundup of MAITRI, please keep checking the MAITRI Page.

That's all for now. Take care till next post.

22 comments:

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Thats a yummy recipe dear....

Priya Suresh said...

Red rice akki roti looks exactly like ragi roti, looks fabulous..

Unknown said...

healthy with red rice..love akki roti..

chef and her kitchen said...

Love this...looks yumm..

divya said...

Slurp...This looks so tempting....

Sharmi said...

that's awesome start! lovely roti!

Sharmi said...

Thats a great start and a lovely roti

Kamakshi Prasanna said...

amazing..I love akki roti..but never tried.. will try soon

Rajee Mani said...

Love the recipe and the mystery ingredient.

Unknown said...

love the rich red color of the rotis - yum!

R said...

looks so yummy!! adding kasuri methi is a nice touch!

Sailaja said...

new dish to me. Looks yummy

Unknown said...

Healthy akki roti.Perfectly looking rotis.

Panchpakwan said...

akki rotti looks super delicious..

harini-jaya said...

Never used red rice flour before..the akki roti is looking like ragi roti ..love the dollop of butter on top:)

Unknown said...

Akki rotis look healthy and delicious, Priya..

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Very new priya!!! looks delicious!!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic Akki Roti---Priya
Keep the Maitri chain rolling:)

Simplyfood said...

Never tried this ingredient before it looks great.I am really envious of this maitri chain , I wish it was in my part of the world.
New Blog look is great.

aipi said...

New to me - looks extremely yum!

US Masala

sangeeta said...

I am always delighted to see your enthusiasm Priya....whenever i come to your pages. So much activity and so much fun...

This red rice akki roti looks good and i am thinking of trying it with wet ground red rice paste . I brought some red rice from Chennai and it is being used sparsely :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Hi Priya,

That is so interesting to know about 'Maitri' chain. Took time, to go thro' it slowly. I should first applaud your effort towards it:)

And mystery ingredient for you is also well-picked! Your recipe sounds fantastic, healthy choice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails