Monday, November 28, 2011

Chakkarai/Sweet Pongal for Blog Hop

Hello Friends,


I don't know where to start. These last couple of weeks or shall I say months have been crazy busy. So, many things happening (nothing bad). Like I was telling this friend of mine, it is an action-packed days, full-to-busy from morning 4:30 am till 10 pm (before I crash in bed).


I guess I am also going through that blogger block or whatever it is called where I don't know what to do or what to post. And, again, I am also not cooking very new and uncooked dishes, so that is also one of the reasons.


Anyways, I want to apologize here to all my readers and my blogger friends whom I follow religiously as I did not get to post or visit anyone in last month or so.


I love Blog Hop event, but unfortunately, could not post my dish on time as I should have. Sorry Saras about it. I was paired with wonderful Saras. While I was going through her blog, this dish caught my eye right away and I knew what to make. I always wanted to try Chakkarai/Sweet Pongal as I love it as a prasadam. For my non South Indian friends who have not heard of this before, let me explain it. It is cooked rice/moong dal mix in milk and then sweetened with Jaggery and loaded with ghee. Have I tempted you enough? :)


Here is the delicious recipe.


Chakkarai/Sweet Pongal
Ingredients
Rice - 1 cup
Moong Dal - 1/3 cup
Milk - 1.5 cups
Water - 2.5 cups
Powdered Jaggery - 2 cups or to taste
Green Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
Cashews - pieces, 2 tbsp
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 3 tbsps
Preparation

  • Pressure Cook Rice & Dal till almost mushy with Milk and Water mix (as mentioned above).'
  • Meanwhile, heat jaggery with about 1/4 cup water till it melts nicely.
  • Pour Jaggery water and 2 tbsp ghee in cooked rice/dal mix (add about 1/4 cup water, if needed).
  • Add cardamom powder and mix well.
  • In a small non-stick pan, fry cashew pieces to golden brown in 1 tbsp ghee.
  • Mix cashews well with the sweet pongal and take it off the heat.

Serving
This is usually made as an offering to God, but we enjoyed it as a delicious dessert. If I were you, I will serve it warm :)


That's all for now. Hope to be back on track. Take care till next post.

26 comments:

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious sweet....Love this when I get it little as prasadh...:)

Torviewtoronto said...

favourite this looks wonderful

Swathi said...

Sakkara pongal looks delicious.

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks fantastic Priya, I love this one warm with ghee oozing out of it.

divya said...

yummy looking delicious dessert

Kalyani said...

looks yum and delicious .......

Treat and Trick said...

Healthy combo and looks delectable!

Unknown said...

looks totally delicious, Priya - Feel like having a bowl of it hot with butter dripping :)

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Yummy!!!!

Radhika said...

Lovely snap Priya. Just made me mouthwatering.

Mélange said...

Even I am in similar situation priya..Very hectic days..

Sarkara pongal looks immensely tempting..Nice click.

Pushpa said...

Delicious sweet pongal.

Raji said...

Your pongal looks extremely traditional..nice try Priya.

Prathima Rao said...

Sweet & mouthwatering pongal!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Unknown said...

Sweet pongal looks tempting and delicious..

Raks said...

Its been quite a while since I made this, waiting for pongal to come :)Looks tempting!

Nandita SS said...

Yummy sweet pongal!!! Looks scrumptious :)

Sushma Mallya said...

It's one of my fav looks yummy!

Priya Suresh said...

I'll happily have this sweet pongal anytime.

Anjali Shukla said...

This recipe reminds me of my gala time in Manila with a Telugu friend of mine; thanks for refreshing those beautiful memories with your even more beautiful recipe... :)

Madhuri Srinivasan said...

that looks yummy
reminds me of this season where every morning we have pongal
will ask my mum to make it :)

Suja Manoj said...

Pongal looks divine..yum

Aarthi said...

pongal looks awesome..Amma makes this often..love each spoon of it

Archana said...

Looks fab.

Appextech SEO said...

Rajasthan is the best
travel place in India .

Anonymous said...

Great time to see this blog. Embossed Business CardsAnd Wholesale Printing

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails