Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thekua for Indian Cooking Challenge - December 2011

Hello Friends,


Another late entry by me to another wonderful event Indian Cooking Challenge.


This month when Valli announced the dish, I was ecstatic as I grew up eating this on occasions such as Diwali and Chhatth (a festival celebrated in winter months in Bihar). This was a must and we will eat varieties made by our chachis (neighborhood aunties) all over the place. Each house a slight variation and there own taste.


I like them so much that during my 1st pregnancy, one of my aunts, especially made a load of these and sent it through my parents all the way to US. How sweet, right?


Anyways, even if I wanted, I couldn't just let go and had to make it as I have not tried making it by myself ever. Always had it made by mom or chachis. Yes, pampered me, never cooked anything to save my life before marriage :)


So, without further ado, enjoy these cookies from a state called Bihar all the way in India. And, it cannot get any simpler than this recipe. Perfect for newbies as well.


Thekua (Deep Fried Cookies)
Ingredients
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Sooji (Semolia) - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup (you can add a little and then taste the mixture before adding any more)
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 1-2 tbsp (depending on how khasta or pasry like texture you want, but don't add too much or else you won't be able to fry your thekua)
Dry Coconut - 2 tsp, either coarsely ground or you can even chose to add finely chopped dry coconut. So, basically your like.
Cardamom Powder - 1 pinch
Salt - 1 pinch
Warm water - as needed
Preparation

  • Sift all purpose flour and add all dry ingredients in it and mix well.
  • Add ghee to it and mix in well.
  • Now, add warm water little by little (drop by drop) and mix till you have a nice hard dough. When you take the dough in your fist and close it and open it back, it should take the shape of your first and not break apart.
  • Now, if you have cookie cutter or like traditionally used moulds, go for it. 
  • I had none, so, I just made small balls and flattened them.
  • Deep fry them in hot oil (not too hot) till golden brown.
  • Drain on the paper and enjoy.
  • These can be kept in air-tight contained for a couple of days.
  • I made about 8-9 thekuas with these measurements.

Serving
Serve them anytime, but best with tea or as a snack. In my house, they were gone before I could even let them cool down or put them on a plate (right from the paper towel). Don't you see that my precious picture is right on paper towel.. lol :)


That's all for now. Take care till next post.

9 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Crispy thekua looks super delicious and quite addictive..

Torviewtoronto said...

Happy holidys delicious looking cookies

Srivalli said...

So glad that you finally made this priya..

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

awesome... looks yum...

Unknown said...

Thekua looks crunchy and yummy. Its my fav..

Sobha Shyam said...

yummy and crunchy thekua..new to me..
Merry Christmas to you and your family !!

Vidhya said...

Fried cookies look scrumptious.

Unknown said...

This certainly is very interesting, deep fried are always yum!!..Happy New year!!

Anu Nandu said...

These are great and irresistible even when one is not pregnant - I don't think you can ever stop with one or two of this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails