Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rajasthani Lahsan-Pyaaz-Kairi ka Achar - राजस्थानी लहसन-प्याज-कैरी का आचार (Garlic - Onion - Raw Mango Pickle)

Hello Friends,


How are you all? Today, I am here with an authentic Rajasthani/Marwari pickle that I learnt from a friend's mom who is visiting her these days. She had made it for her daughter and gave me a little to taste and I fell in love with it and wanted to learn it right away. Took the details, prepped my ingredients and then she helped me make it. Isn't it sweet. 


If you are a fan of pickles and spicy ones and you love garlic or onions, you will love it. Do give it a try.


Rajasthani Lahsan-Pyaaz-Kairi ka Achar - राजस्थानी लहसन-प्याज-कैरी का आचार (Garlic - Onion - Raw Mango Pickle)
Ingredients
Onion - 9 cups (measure after chopping them)
Garlic - 4 cups (peeled, big ones)
Raw Mango - 6 cups, (measure after grating)
Whole Dry Red Chilies - 2 cups
Spices
Saunf (Fennel Seeds) - 2 cups, dry roasted and coarsely ground
Peela Sarso (Yellow Mustard Seeds) - 1/4 cup, coarsely ground
Kalaunji (Black Caraway Seeds - 1/2 cup
Red Chili Powder - add depending on how spicy you would like it to be, remember that onion and garlic have a little spice on their own
Salt - as per your taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 cup or add based on how much color you want
Mustard Oil - 4-5 cups, feel free to use olive oil, but traditionally it is made with mustard oil
Preparation

  • Wash, wipe and sun dry your glass jar to store the pickle in.
  • Peel and chop onions in big pieces, as shown in the picture above, spread it on a tray or cloth and sun dry for 3-4 hours.
  • Peel and sun-dry garlic for 3-4 hours.
  • Wash, wipe well, peel and grate raw mango. Measure the quantity and then sun dry it for 3-4 hours.
  • Prepare saunf and peela sarso as mentioned in ingredients
  • Take a big enough bowl to mix all the ingredients and then mix all the spices in oil first.
  • Now, add onion, garlic and raw mango to it and mix well.
  • Fill it now in the dried glass jar (make sure to use glass or ceramic jar only). Let it sit on the counter.
  • Next day, do a quick taste test to see that salt and spiciness is what you want. Make sure the pickle has enough oil (check my jar and see how much oil it needs). Mix the whole thing once thoroughly with a dry spoon.
  • Keep stirring it for next 3-4 days before you indulge in it as onion/garlic specially need to soak that spice and oil in before you can eat them or else it will be like eating raw onion/garlic.
  • Enjoy it after 3rd or 4th day !!!
  • As it has onion/garlic, my friend's mom suggested me to keep it in fridge after a couple of week, if I still have leftovers (which I will as I made a lot...lol). She wasn't sure how long it will stay outside as it has raw onion/garlic. But, I will let you know how it goes. Just to be sure, I will refrigerate it anyways, don't want to loose all that goodness :)

Serving
Serve it with anything, roti, rice or even simple mathris. In my picture, I actually served it with dosa :)


I am sending this to Flavors of Rajasthan event @ Sonu's blog. The series was original started by Nayna.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.

53 comments:

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy said...

Onion pickle is something new to me but I know I m gonna love it..achaar looks tempting..love the color!

Latha said...

Looks lip smackingly good... Love it!

Sangeetha M said...

hi priya
thanx for your concern n wishes..i am back now...coming to this pickle looks so tempting n spicy...my fav combo...bookmarked!!!

Laavanya said...

What a good looking pickle that is.. Btw, I have the exact same jar (from IKEA) :)

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Bookmarking this Priya, got to surely try it out.

divya said...

OMG...mouth watering here...

Mélange said...

My God ,what a splendid Pickle there .The flavours I had not into.It's terrific and I am drooling.I loved that jar too...
Btw,today,even I made a mango pickle..a kerala style one !

Rinku Naveen said...

oh my my...mouthwatering pickle. Never heard of this idea of adding onions..Lovely

Kim said...

i've never pickled anything before! wow this looks so savory!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Wow...This looks super spicy and tempting...

Nitha said...

Pickle looks yumm.. tongue tickling one :)

Pushpa said...

Flavor packed delicious pickle.

Chaitanya said...

very yummy and tempting....
very delicious
www.rajafood.blogspot.com

Madhavi said...

OMG this so goooood, love pickles and this is must try :))

Nandita SS said...

OMG!!! This pickle looks so mouthwatering and delicious. I can eat that straight from the bottle :)

aipi said...

Hey, I forever thought that you couldn't pickle onions but looks like you very much can ~ and it looks fab too, the way you made it! Love that cute little jar :)
US Masala

Shobha said...

Wow Priya..this looks so nice..I like making pickles at home...they are anytime better than the bottled ones...book marked it.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Pickles look so tasty and tangy. Amazing preparation.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Prema said...

wow mouthwatering dear,luks gr8!!!

chef and her kitchen said...

looks delicious,lovely pickle..

Unknown said...

Tongue tickling, mouth watering yum!

Sravs said...

looks so tempting and spicy pickle !!

Ongoing Event - CC-Roti Pachadi/Chutney

Indian Khana said...

Love this aachar ...one of the fav ...you are making me drool

Unknown said...

mouthwatering.....and spicy...yumm

Deeksha said...

Mouthwatering pickle. Bookmarked.

Unknown said...

Priya, Onion pickel looks so tempting.....

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Simply Tongue Tickling..

Joanne said...

What a unique pickle! Sounds tasty.

Laxmipriya said...

Mouthwatering pickles.. A different one too for me..

Nithu said...

I love pickle. This looks perfect.

Rajani said...

Looks very interesting. I love pickles, but am too lazy to make them from scratch :D!

Suja Manoj said...

Tempting pickle..looks so yummy,bookmarking this one..

CinnamonNChillies said...

What a beautiful sight of a pickle. Feel like just having them as is.

Torviewtoronto said...

pickle looks fabulous delicious with rice

Sweet Artichoke said...

Yummy! these garlic- onion pickles look very tasty! Totally addicted to pickles :-)

Nithya said...

Mouthwatering pickle. All at home love pickle a lot and this version looks really tempting :)

Cooking Foodie said...

This pickle looks delicious...

Malar Gandhi said...

I bet it is finger-licking good:) Looks garlicky and very very tempting.

Severe 'Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'...so couldn't blog-hop with same enthu' these days:(

Vidhya said...

Pickle looks so tempting.I love these pickles but had no idea how to make it.Thank you dear for a wonderful authentic recipe.

Tadka Pasta said...

What lovely colors in your pickle, must be the magic of the Rajasthani chillies. Great recipe!

Vardhini said...

Wow .. I love pickles and this is so beautifully presented tempting me ..

Vardhini
Check out my 100th post giveaway

Plateful said...

Aachaar sounds too tempting. We do mango and garlic often but never tasted anything with onion as a main ingredient.

Heather S-G said...

Oh, I just love the look of that jar filled with the pickle. This sounds so good :D

Reeni said...

I made pickles before but never spicy like this one! So delicious - I need to give them a try!

Urmi said...

I am fond of pickle. Thanks for your lovely recipe of onion pickle.Looks spicy and yummy. Perfect with roti/paratha and sabji.

Raks said...

This is so new to me and sounds absolutely mouthwatering! Yumm!

Rumana Rawat said...

Omg!!! that looks so beautiful:)

Unknown said...

I've never seen a recipe for these pickles before! I've only ever bought it in giant jars. So yummy!

Sreelu said...

always loved rajasthani pickles, thanks for sharing I am so going to make this.

Anu Nandu said...

That is one sexy looking pickle Priya! Awesome.

Miri said...

What a delicious looking pickle!

AJ said...

Priya!! This pickle is so delicious!!

Anonymous said...

hi Priya,

I also prepared similar pickle today, with onins only, omitting lasun and mango. Let us see how it will come out! my Mom told me the recipe and then searching for the shelf life of this achar, I bumped here :)

Rashmi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails