After a long time, I am almost on schedule (just a day behind) for MayBlog Hop. This month, I am paired with Pallavi of Cook-Eat-Burp blog. She has this amazing collection (still growing by leaps and bounds).
I wanted to try something simple due to my busy schedule. My older one who loves Alu (Potato), always wants in the same way, cubed and made it dry curry, which he loves with poori. This time I thought of giving him this variety. I made it and probably the only other alu curry, he said he liked and would want me to prepare again. Pallavi, you are my savior here. Love you for that. So, here it is, from now a regular in my house :)
This is a simple Gujju recipe and I am sure you will all like to make it. If you ask me what I loved about it other than simplicity, is the smell and taste or carom seeds :)
Besan Bataka Nu Shak - आलु बेसन की सब्जी (Potato in Gram Flour Gravy)
Potatoes - 2 medium to large sized
Green Chilies - 2, slit
Besan (Gram Flour) - 2 tbsp, make it into a paste with little water
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Carom Seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - per taste
- Wash, peel and cube potatoes (in same size).
- Take a pan and add oil to it
- Once oil is hot, add both the seeds
- When they crackle, add green chilies to it.
- Fry for about a minute, add potatoes, salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix and fry for a min. and add about 1 cup water (till potatoes are merged in water).
- Cover and cook till potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the cover and add besan paste with red chili powder and mix well.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Keep mixing and add water if needed because as soon as you add besan, it will start thickening.
- Switch off gas and it is ready to be served.
Serve it with roti (bread) or rice. We had it with our rotis and savored every bite of this warm gooey curry.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.