Here is a recipe, with a thought of just mixing few greens together with rice. I had frozen spinach at home and home grown basil leaves (which were ready to wilt, if not used soon). So, this is what I thought of making. Almost a one-pot meal with some raita.
Palak Tulsi Chawal - पालक तुलसी चावल (Spinach and Basil Rice)
Cooked White Rice - 2 cups
Palak (Spinach) - 2 cups, I used baby spinach as it is, feel free to chop them to desired size.
Meetha Tulsi (Basil) - 1.5 cups, feel free to adjust the quantity.
Onion - 1 cup, sliced or chopped, as you prefer
Tomatio - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Green Chilies - 2, finely chopped (remember that basil is also spicy, somewhat)
Ginger - 1 tbsp, finely grated or ground
Garlic - 1 tbsp, finely chopped or grated or ground
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
- Take a non-stick pan and heat oil in it.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add green chilies, onion, ginger and garlic and let them fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and all spices and fry for 2 more min.
- Now, add both spinach, basil and salt and cook covered till spinach wilts down.
- Fry uncovered for 2 more min.
- Add rice, mix everything well and fry for 2 more min before removing from heat.
Serve it warm with some raita or plain yogurt.
That's all for now. Take care till next post.